Watering Plants

Tips for Watering Plants
Keeping your plants properly watered can be tricky. Care must be taken to provide enough but not too much water. This is a guide about watering plants.

Fast, easy, and no spills on your furniture. Cubes melt slowly so the plant doesn't get overwatered. One normal size ice cube per 4 inch pot. The kind of plant drives the frequency of watering. Mild fertilizer can be made into cubes as well, follow the instructions on the fertilizer by mixing it according to package directions. Pour mixture into ice cube tray and freeze. After cubes have been frozen, place into a bag, label, and set aside in the freezer where they won't be mistaken for a drink ice cube!

Save your liquid dishwasher squirt bottles and use them for watering your plants. Just wash them out well, refill with plain water, and squirt it where you want to water. This is also a great way to water hard to reach areas.
Barb

By bali from Summerhill, PA

Keep your garden hydrated with this easy (and green!) tip: Take a clean 1 gallon milk jug, poke a small hole in the bottom with a nail, fill it with water, and recap it. Set this next to your thirsty plant and watch it perk up a 'thank you!' This is also a great way to keep your garden watered when you need to be away for a few days.

By Meredith from Raleigh, NC

Use marble-sized polymers to hydrate your plants. I buy the 8.5 oz. container of Decorative Accents absorbent polymers from the Dollar Tree to put in my outside flower beds. I use the handle (dowel) part of a wooden spoon to poke holes into the soil. You then drop the hydrated polymers into the holes and cover with dirt. These great little beads keep the roots happy until the next watering.

By Louella from Billings, MT

The next time you boil a dozen eggs, save the water and pour it on your garden and plants. The water becomes enriched with calcium when the eggs are cooked. Plus, why pour water down the sink when you can reuse it for something, right? (Just make sure you let it get to room tempature.)

Source: Pinterest

By Terri R. from Seneca, SC

Take an empty clear plastic water bottle, cut off the bottom, drill a hole or bang a nail hole thru the plastic cap, and screw the cap back on to the neck of the bottle.

Make a hole in the dirt right next to where the stem of the tomato plant is buried, turn the bottle upside down and put the neck of the bottle in the hole. Fill the bottle with water and it will slowly drip into the dirt right to the roots of the plant.

This guide is about conserving water in the garden. There are many ways to use less water on your garden, and still have a bountiful harvest.

Watering the Garden

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

If you are going away and need plants watered, just fill a diaper full of water. Set it in your pot, and put soil on top of diaper. Your plants will stay moist while you are away

The city of Houston just put everyone on restrictions concerning watering outdoor plants. Mine are all potted patio plants. The rule is twice a week depending upon whether you are on the even or odd side of the street.

If you're having trouble with your spray nozzle or if you need more help watering - remember kids are more than willing to help!

Child Helping with Watering

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

While you are on vacation your houseplants will still need care, specifically water. If you don't have a friend to come in and take care of them, there are still some ways to make sure your plants survive your trip. This is a guide about watering houseplants on vacation.

Self Watering Houseplant

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about using aquarium water for plants. If you have an aquarium consider using the waste water when you clean the tank to fertilizer your garden or houseplants.

Aquarium in the middle of a water change

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This guide is about watering container plants. Make sure your plants have the right amount of moisture to help them thrive.

Flowers in pots on the patio being watered with a watering can.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about using greywater in the garden. Greywater is the domestic wastewater resulting from household water use. Some sources such as water from showers, sinks, or bathtubs is generally safe to use for garden irrigation.

woman watering in her garden

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about helping your garden beat the heat. Summer brings heat to the garden. Many plants need and benefit from this seasonal rise in temperature. However, too much heat resulting from a heat wave can damage your plants.

Watering Flowers

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This guide is about watering hanging plants. Maintaining proper moisture in your hanging pots and baskets can be accomplished in a number of ways.

Watering Hanging Plants

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Tips for watering plants. Post your ideas.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

A lot of water that goes down the drain can be used to water plants. Water that you use to steam vegetables, cook potatoes or boil eggs can be reused to water your plants. Also, when you clean out your aquarium you can use that water to water your plants.

I have a lot of houseplants, so when I water, I start in the same place and go right around the house, always in the same order, checking and watering as needed. This way, no one gets forgotten.

By Linda

Use water with lemon and orange juice (straight out of the oranges) and water it. This helps it grow faster.(

Aha!

With a busy life and a love for freshness I have found that using empty water bottles (like perrier bottles found in the recycle box at work) washed, rinsed and filled up. Work well. Fill it up, flip it over into the soil about 2 or 3 inches into the soil and tada, watering system that will last up to 5 days for containers. If doing this right in the dirt outside in the garden, or just anywhere you have plants that dry out fast, put the bottle closer to the plant and your go to go for 4 days. As the soil dries, it releases air into the bottle and then releasing the water back into soil.

No need to by fancy balls for this, if you like to decorate them, use tissue paper and MODPOGE or water and glue to match your decor. Sometimes it is hard to remember what an who to water and when, and if your an avid traveler this works even better. Set up 2 bottles and away you go for up to 2 weeks! Also if you do not want a cat using your plants as a litter box, put pine cones in the bottom of the plant base and they do not like the smell or the texture on there little feet.

When is the best time to water vegetables, a flower garden, and young trees?

By Jack from Georgina, Ontario

Early in the morning or when the sun sets.

A lot of people have a lot of theories about this. I can't help but think that it doesn't really matter, so long as they get enough water and not too much. Mother Nature waters them any time of the day or night.

I water mine in the morning .It gives the plants a good drink for the day .

I have some potted Asiatic Lilies that have been sitting in my basement all winter. I sat the pots out today (3/17/10) because it's about 65 degrees. The soil looks dry, when should I start watering them?

By Vixx from Alexandria, VA

Now is a good time, good luck.

Yes, just don't move them outside until you're sure the danger of frost has gone.

Be very careful starting too much water too early plants will become leggy. If the soil is dry about 2 inches down in the pot apply just a little water no food and wait till just before frost is gone. you can call your agriculture agent in nearest larger town and he will tell you exactly. I live in zone 8 and I just started mine.

What are the benefits of using tea/coffee to water plants?

By Holly

I don't know for sure but I've done it for years and the plants in my kitchen do much better than the ones upstairs on the windowsill. I don't put sweetened tea on them, but if there's tea left in the pot, cooled, I use it every time.

I've read about this, but don't remember exactly what nutrients they get from the tea.

Does anyone know, is it OK to water my houseplants with leftover iced tea (no sugar)? I hate to throw it away when it doesn't get used up. I am thinking it's OK.

Thanks,
Kim from Crawford, CO

Answers:

Watering Plants With Iced Tea

I have used left over tea for years to water all of my house plants and they thrive from it. (04/13/2007)

By Jcerar

Watering Plants With Iced Tea

House and yard plants that are acid-loving will especially thrive on this. The tannic acid in tea is good for them. Roses, camellia, azaleas, fuchsia especially love it. I also use leftover coffee, cool of course, on plants, as well as coffee grounds in the soil.

Editor's Note: Both black coffee and tea (no milk, or sugar, or sweetener) is good for many plants and house plants. (04/13/2007)

By

Watering Plants With Iced Tea

We save our coffee grounds and tea leaves to add to our compost pile. But my grandmother always poured her left over tea and coffee right into her houseplants. (04/20/2007)

By Hoffmann House Network