Weight Loss Tips

This is a guide about weight loss tips. Finding the right formula of diet and exercise, can help you take off unwanted pounds.

I'm an overweight widowed Englishman wanting to loose a few pounds. (Not sterling) Any ideas from over the pond?

By Trevor R. from Nottingham

Answers

Best Answer

Hi there! Canada here. Try increasing your fibre intake. Eat lots of fruit and vegetables and lay off the sugar, and walk, walk, walk. Good luck.

Does anyone have any tips on losing weight? I want to lose about 5 lbs. Are there any homemade weight loss remedies? What should I eat? How much should I exercise?

By EeshieKing

Answers:

Weight Loss Tips

Running and running, which I think is a best way. Life is exercise. (05/05/2009)

By luoyue

Weight Loss Tips

Eat 6 small meals a day. 3 main meals and 3 snacks. If you eat every 3-4 hours it regulates your metabolism and makes you lose weight faster. Try to base your diet on lean proteins, fresh fruits, and vegetables. Don't eat carbohydrates after 2pm. Drink 2-3 liters of water a day to flush out toxins. Hope this helps. (05/08/2009)

By p_i_m_p

Weight Loss Tips

I must recommend Dr. Joel Fuhrman. I am thrilled with what it's doing for me. Look him up on Youtube.com, he is filmed while speaking and his is based on the best science yet. I am saying, recommend. A thousand gold stars. Please look him over. (05/12/2009)

By kimhis

Weight Loss Tips

First cut out all soda/pop. Don't eat fast food. Drink lots of water. Replace water for whatever you drink all the time. (The only exception I make to this is coffee.) I really believe that this country has a weight problem because of soda and fast food. Also, if you want to go further, I recommend Weight Watchers. You can do it on your own, online. I firmly believe it works better than any other program, at least one in which you do not have to buy their food. (05/13/2009)

By telizabethf.

Tips to you help you lose weight. Post your ideas.

Answers:

Dining with the Family

A person tends to eat healthier when dining with family, than when dining alone. They make better choices and more likely to lose weight.

By Terri (06/28/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Weight Loss Tips

In the last year I have lost 65pounds. I did not count calories, but I did plan how many servings of the different food groups. I stuck to the correct size serving, drank a lot of water, 8 glasses or more. I also did a lot, of walking. And I kept reminding myself if I don't follow my planned diet, I am cheating myself. There will be times you are discouraged, but if you are persistent you will lose. It takes time. (06/28/2005)

By Suzq

Weight Loss Tips

There many diets out there, each person needs to research to find one the fits their life style. Then keep a diary, it does not need to be fancy. Just the date at the top of the page and list everything you eat and how much of it you eat for the whole day.

It might surprise you how many times you cheat on your diet. Then, I think it is important to exercise, even if you just walk. Start with one minute if that is all you can do. Don't be embarrassed. You will add as time goes on. (06/28/2005)

By Carol

Weight Loss Tips

What works for me: Cut way back on meat, cheese, and sweets, especially cheese and sweets. You will notice a big change over time.

Nobody needs to remind us that sweets are mostly unhealthy. Many people think cheese is healthy because it contains calcium. But the bad (fattening) qualities of cheese outweigh the good. There are much better choices for calcium, lowfat milk and yogurt, for instance. And meat is good for you, in sensible quantities.

Many countries view meat as a condiment, so to speak, and use it to flavor and enhance food. They eat little of it compared with other foods. We can learn from them. Few countries, if any, have the widespread overweight problem the U.S. has. (06/28/2005)

By Mary

Weight Loss Tips

Change just one bad habit at a time. For example: add exercise. Don't change your food choices at that time, only add exercise. When that becomes second nature, then change your full sugar soda to diet soda. Or if you already drink only diet soda, change it to only water. Again, don't worry about food choices, yet.

You want to make sure these changes are permanent before adding more changes. After doing this for several months you'll find yourself making healthy food choices without "dieting". It will become a habit, a way of life. (06/29/2005)

By Cheryl from Missouri

Weight Loss Tips

You must mentally "Set a Date" that you are going to change your lifestyle. Fad Diets will not keep the weight off. Get a Food scale (Approx.$10). If you don't own a regular scale invest in one, (Approx.$29 for a decent one). It will serve as a constant reminder for you and keep you motivated.

Make a journal of what you eat on a daily basis for about two weeks. Don't leave anything out and don't change anything you do for those two weeks. After that cut down on all the sodas, junk and snack type foods. Replace them with water and juices. Keep diet soda down to maybe once or twice a week. Eat fruit and low calorie/low carb snacks.

Cut servings of red meat down to about 1 or 2 a week. Chicken, turkey, and fish are lower in calories. Fish has Omega-3 oils in it which is an antioxidant which helps the body. I replaced potatoes with rice, a personal preference, I think. As previous posters have already said, drink anywhere from 8-12 glasses of water per day. Your average intake per day should equal 120oz.

Most of all you need to get your body moving in some way. Most people choose walking as it is the lowest impact on the body over all, but has a reasonable overall effect. Remember always start slow. If it hurts stop. You will just cause injury to yourself and set yourself back twice as far as you came. Lastly, if you can keep up exercising and watching what you eat sternly for 24 weeks it will be habitual. You will do it without thinking.

I hope this post helps all of you out there trying to lose weight. I know it's helped me without subscribing to all those expensive weightloss programs or buying pills. To date I've lost 160 lbs. in just over 2 years. So, yes it can be done and no I don't workout everyday.

Happy health to everyone. (06/30/2005)

By shrogre

Weight Loss Tips

To maintain your desired weight, I would suggest you eat 3 meals per day. Do not skip breakfast. If you happen to be one of the people that don't eat breakfast than just eat something light. You could try eating a fruit or yogurt and a breakfast drink.

Also, if you like to snack a lot during the day, limit your intake to 1 or 2 times a day and cut back on the amount you eat. It will be a good idea to gradually cut back on the amount you serve yourself, as well. The reason for gradually cutting back is so you don't feel deprived and hungry. As you do this your body will start to adjust to your intake of food amount.

Last but not least, again do not skip meals, because when you do you're telling your fat cells to store all food as fat. That's where some people make the mistake of thinking eat less, lose weight! Also, avoid night time snacking. Your body metabolism slows down burning less fat. These tips have really work well for me. Sharmarie
(06/30/2005)

By sharmarie_bul

Weight Loss Tips

I come from very obese genes and upbringing and worried a lot about my weight and dieting when I was younger. Dieting was painful and always resulted either in weight gain or something bordering on an eating disorder.

Here's what helped me develop a healthy attitude about food and dieting: don't diet and don't deny yourself. Don't say "I'll never eat ice cream again". There is so much bad psychological processing that goes along with that, having to do with desire, guilt, self-esteem and anxiety. I broke out of that by focusing on being healthy instead of focusing on being thin.

Being healthy includes being happy and eating the foods I enjoy. I aim for balance in my diet. Instead of worrying about not eating too much of bad things, I check to make sure I've eaten enough of vegetables, fruit, fish and other good for me foods. I treat myself with small pieces of rich dark chocolate rather than overdoing it with heavy deserts. I cook everything in olive oil rather than butter, and eat bread without butter at restaurants.

Now I find that I don't like food that has too much butter in it, ditto salt and sugar. I developed a taste for plain nonfat yogurt, which I use as a substitute for mayonnaise, sour cream, and milk. I don't keep snacks or deserts at home, so if I want one, I have to go out to get it. I exercise several times per week, which helps regulate my appetite. With a healthy focus rather than a thin focus, I've developed an attitude toward food that has eliminated overeating. My parents are both 300+ pounds and I weigh about 130. I feel healthy and enjoy the foods I eat. (01/16/2006)