Weight Loss Tips

I'm an overweight widowed Englishman wanting to loose a few pounds. (Not sterling) Any ideas from over the pond?

By Trevor R. from Nottingham

Best Answer

Hi there! Canada here. Try increasing your fibre intake. Eat lots of fruit and vegetables and lay off the sugar, and walk, walk, walk. Good luck.

I find a food journal helps. If you have to write it down, most likely you will think about it before you eat it!

Cut one thing out. For instance, bread, oil, sugar, desserts, soda, ice cream. Doesn't matter. Just cut out one thing, and you will lose at least two pounds a month.

The only way I lost weight, and have kept it off for close to 4 years now, was Weight Watchers! Do you have one there? I am sure you do. You can do it online, too, but try to find a friend to diet with you, it is so much easier. I went to visit a friend, who was in her 6th week of WW. I went on it with her, attended one meeting, then winged it for a year... and it works. changes your whole attitude on losing weight!

Anonymous

Besides the other advice, eat small meals/healthy snacks every couple of hours (it regulates metabolism) and for each meal do not eat more than can fit in the cupped palm of your hand and be sure to drink the good old fashioned eight glasses of water a day :-)

Let us know what and how you do :-)

Do you have a dog? If you are able, adopting a dog is a great way to get exercise (walking, playing fetch, etc.) and meet people! Shelter staff/volunteers should be able to help you find a pet that's compatible with your personality and energy level. If you're not quite ready for that kind of commitment, shelters are always looking for a few good volunteers to walk dogs & help them get exercise, help out at events, etc.

I lost my auto due to divorce. I walked quite a bit and weight dropped off fast. I started taking my dog around to visit nearby neighbors and then my clothes got all baggy. I also could not get to the gas station every morning for donuts

and sodas. Those were my main changes and now I do not want a car.

I also suggest Weight Watchers. I know they are in England and if there is not one close to you, the program is online. They stress healthy foods and exercise. In addition to losing weight you will find that your cholesterol and blood pressure levels will come down. I know - it worked for me! Good luck

You don't have to get a dog, you don't have to suffer with nasty WeightWatchers food. Eat only every other day. Food will taste better, you will lose your cravings. EAT what'ever you want, when ever you want (on your eating day) You will digest stuff better. Food won't have 'it's power' over you any more. LOVE your food. There is no Bad food. It's simple, works Quickly. You will feel better. It's gets easier every day. I know someone that lost 100 pounds, and was so much happier.

~cheers~ Lizzy on a tiny island near the equator
aka alilmonkey

Trevor, I joined AnneCollins website and found the best programs & support ever. Anne is wonderful, and her weight loss program is fabulous. She has pages specifically for people in the UK, and the annual website program membership is just 14.97. (http://www.anne … diet-program.htm). Her programs are easy to start & stick with, and are changeable for individual tastes & dietary needs. The online support forums are the best, and Anne will get in there answering questions herself!

Before Anne Collins, I could never find a weightloss solution that worked for me. I read nothing but rave reviews of her program, so I gave it a try. I lost weight and kept it off because her programs are healthy, no-nonsense, and usable for life!