CoolingHome Improvement

Wet Concrete to Stay Cool

We live in an area where it can get painfully hot. Our central air conditioning unit broke a while ago, but even when it was working, we didn't use it too much in order to cut costs. One of our favourite things to do to keep cool is spray the backyard concrete with cold water when the sun starts going down and open the back doors. The cold water on the shady concrete almost acts as a refrigerator and pushes cold air into the house for quite a while. It feels so good. You don't even need much water. A little goes a long way.

What a clever idea! I'm going to try that.

Please do! Promise you'll love it!

Anonymous

But if the sun has been shining down on the concrete all day, it usually absorbs so much heat that it takes forever for it to cool down. When I spray my concrete down, it's like a sauna and reflects heat, kind of like steam. I don't get it!!!!

If I spray my concrete down after a hot day, it makes steam. Concrete absorbs the heat of the day, even after the sun goes down, it is still hot. I don't get it!!!!

Perhaps it depends on where you live? We have no humidity here-- how's yours?