Identifying China?

0
Share
Pin
Save
Follow
Print

Hello. Im looking to find out the make/pottery brand of this set of plates which belonged to my grandmother. The stamp is too smudged to read but it looks like the symbol is a crown above some sort of shield. Thanks

Answers

Best Answer

I believe this is by the brand Nymphenburg, and the shape is called Rococo

This is the little Replacements.com has on it.

2343 (Rococo Shape)
by Nymphenburg

Item#: 266459 Pattern Code: NYM2343R
Description: Rococo, Landscape/Scroll, Swags On Rim
Pattern: 2343 (Rococo Shape) by Nymphenburg

I am still trying to confirm, but this may get you started. I will circle back when I can get to my other sources of info!

Once I confirm pattern, I can help you value it!

Thanks!

Best Answer

The backstamp (mark) on your plate belongs to Nymphenburg. The Nymphenburg Porcelain Manufactory was founded by Elector Max III in the "Grüne Schlössl" in Neudeck in 1747. Initially efforts to produce porcelain weren't successful. The technology was developed only in 1754. Since 1761 the manufactory has been located in a part of Nymphenburg Castle (Munich, Bavaria, Germany). Seven years after Elector Max III Joseph of Bavaria ordered that all porcelains be marked with an image of the Wittelsbach coat of arms with diamonds. In first half of 19th century financial situation deteriorated and in 1856 artistic production was halted. This company was privatized and produced only technical, medical and sanitary porcelain. Only in 1887 new owner Albert Bäuml decided to restore artistic traditions of the firm.

The marks have changed slightly over the years, so I can say exactly in what period your plate was made. Blue Nymphenburg mark was used from 1895 to 1910 (see attached screenshot).

About pattern.
I found plates with the same pattern as yours, but blue www.ebay.co.uk/.../402751921313?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid..., www.ebay.co.uk/.../293035602458?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid.... The sellers indicate a strange pattern number, I have not found confirmation of this. This pattern number does not exist on replacements.com. And these sellers call this pattern Nymphenburg Reticulated www.ebay.com/.../124419800251, www.ebay.pl/.../192418881621?roken=cUgayN. It seems to me that these sellers did not identify this pattern at all.

Here is the name of this pattern:
Pattern: 1012 (Pierced, Gold Trim) by Nymphenburg
Pattern Code: NYM1012P
Description: Pierced Rim, Scalloped, Floral Center, Gold
You can check it here: www.replacements.com/.../273656.
The replacements.com shows white plates with this pattern, but in the description they do not indicate that plates with this pattern were only white, which means that plates with this pattern can be of a different color. I found the same dark blue plates as yours antiqueland.ru/.../ (I think $ 330 is too much).

So you have Antique Nymphenburg Pierced Rim Scalloped Floral Center Gold Plate NYM1012P Hand Painted 1895-1910.
The price is about $115-225 (I don't now the size of your plate).

Answer this Question

7 More Questions

I recently found this and fell in love. But I am a re-seller so I need to know the value. I have looked on eBay till my eyes twitched.

I can't seem to find it on Google, either.

The markings on the back do not help. Does anyone know what it means/says and if you have seen it? Thanks for any/all help.

Answers

Best Answer

So here are my thoughts....

I think it is from Latvia.

Here are is a link of why I think that:

www.alamy.com/.../latvia-made-in-blue-vintage.htm

Here is a list of all countries that end in A...if you want to try others:

youthworkinit.com/.../Countries-Ending-in-A.pdf

If it is from Latvia, Replacements most likely won't be able to help you. We tried getting them to buy my grandma's dishes from Hungary (which were probably 80-100 years old) and they wanted no parts of them and could not ID them. I love Replacements, but they are not good for some things.

There are not a lot of items from Latvia on eBay at the moment, but those plates that are, are all unsold and some as low as 99 cents. NONE MATCH YOURS so I am not saying that is your value...you would need to find an exact match to yours on eBay or another site to get today's current market value.

You could also take it to a vintage store and see if they can give you a value.

Thanks for sharing it!! It is very lovely!!! You could just try to resell it as a grape and floral pattern plate and hope for the best on a 7 day auction...let the market dictate the price.

People still love grape patterns and it is quite colorful and would look lovely on someones holiday table.

Post back what you decide and what you get for it as I always like to know how things turn out!!

Answer this Question

Does anyone recognize this? Look closely at the image inside the cup. It is the perfect image of a Chinese woman. I found it by accident while cleaning it. I have a whole set of tea cups and saucers, teapot, sugar and creamer, and a cake plate with 6 matching dishes. Absolutely gorgeous!

It was passed down to me by my mother. It was one of her wedding gifts about 70 years ago. I always thought it was strange that there is no brand name on the back of the items. They are all blank, until I saw the image of the face. Did I just discover something valuable?

Answers

These are called lithophane cups and are very collectible. The value depends upon the condition. This article explains it very well: www.artifactcollectors.com/collectible-porcelain-geisha-lithophane...

These are very collectible cups but do not always bring a big price when actually sold. But since you have a complete set it is possible yours would be valuable.

I love to use eBay as a guide because it is a very large site that gets a lot of traffic and gives me a better chance of finding "true" value - what people will actually pay for an item.

Here is a link to present Geisha Lithophane listed on eBay:

www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p4840.m570...

Here is a link that shows what some actually sold for:

www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=Geisha...

But if you want a pretty accurate idea as to the true value of your set, you can ask your question here and someone will try to help you:

community.ebay.com/.../275

It looks like a Japanese litho pane set. The single geisha is not worth as much as the double giesha or some of the more ornate or sexy ones. It is nice that you have an entire set which would raise the value.

Answer this Question

I bought a storage unit and inside were several boxes marked, china, so I have a lot of china that I know nothing about and can't seem to find it anywhere. Some are marked, from Italy 66312 py. The py has a circle around it and Kickard Athenian 1041.

Answers

The top set is Athenian by Pickard. Check out replacements.com below...they sell them and if you message them they buy a lot of china. They are lovely to deal with but you must follow their instructions EXACTLY and wrap things VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY carefully to get them there in one piece!

www.replacements.com/.../picath.htm

The Pickard pattern has sold on eBay so there are still value to them:

www.ebay.com/.../352427349949?epid=632082926&hash...

I can't identify the other two pieces. Sorry. The marks are not familiar to me and the little tea pot is very blurry. If you had better photos of the tea pot, it may ring a bell. The cups do not look familiar at all.

Hopefully one of the other sweeties on this site can give you more info on them!

Good luck!! Post back if you learn more!

Answer this Question

Please provide me with the value if any and information on anything interesting, dates, etc. It is not a full set, no markings are visible. I've have for about 20 plus years.

Answers

No markings means it will be difficult to identify. I think someone may have hand painted plain pieces of pottery and this may be one of a kind.

Identifying unmarked chinaware is a huge challenge because of the sheer volume of the companies that made these pieces.

The painting on these looks too matched between the two pieces for it to have been hand painted and if it was hand potted and painted, artists typically sign and date their work in almost every case as the pieces are their calling cards.

The handle is stylized, which leads me to belief it could be a company that was trying to emulate one of the big name companies of the era.

You said you have had it since the early 2000. I would venture to guess it is not that much older than that as the paint is very bright and clear and it does not look like it has much wear.

My suggestions to identify it are to:

1. Send photos to replacements.com and see if they have it in their data base. They have a link on their page to help identify pieces and there is no charge. You will start getting lots of emails from them, but they are a great resource. They also buy items, but I can tell you that most likely they would not buy the pot since it is missing the lid.

2. I would also suggest joining some Facebook groups to help you identify it as there may be someone out there that had this piece in their personal collection and can give you the full history. One group I like is called Old Things Thrifters and Pickers. You have to ask to join and respect the group's rules for posts. The folks there have a lot of collective knowledge.

Post back when you learn more. I can offer hints and tips for selling if that is what you are interested in.

Thanks for sharing!

Answer this Question

There is no mark or stamp on this set. It's for 6 people.

Answers

If replacements can't assist you, you can try taking it to a reputable vintage dealer.

I was looking carefully at the photos and while I am NOT an expert, this looks like something from the 1970s or 1980s that was designed to look like the big name brand items....like Wedgewood, Spode and Limoges.

The name brands always mark their items, but the look alikes rarely did.

I say this because the gold is too shiny and the edges are not smooth..at least that is how I see them.

An expert can look at the piece in person and tell you what you have!

Please post back and let us know what you learn! I sure hope I am wrong and that you learn it is VERY old and valuable!!! That would be awesome!!!

Answer this Question

I got this tea set and there are no markings or anything on it. I can't find anything like it so I know nothing about it.

Answers

If it has no markings it is probably not worth much. If I were you, I would take a piece and pictures of the entire set to an antique dealer and get a free verbal appraisal.

Answer this Question

I have a small saucer that I would like to figure out what it is worth! It has a name on the back of it, but I can't tell what the letters are. I have enclosed a picture of front and back.

I don't have any other pieces that match this saucer. I bought it at a thrift store! Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Answers

Go to Replacements.com to find out about your china piece - they are right up the road from me - its truly wonderful to go see all of their china pieces that they have; the place is HUGE...they will buy from you OR you can sell to them. Check out their website at Replacements.com and keep us posted on what you find out!

Answer this Question
Consumer Advice Collectibles ChinaApril 30, 2021
👒
🌻
🐛
👔
https://www.thriftyfun.com/What-Make-of-China-is-This-Plate-1.html