Finding the Value of Homer Laughlin Dinnerware

Category Miscellaneous
The Homer Laughlin China Company opened in 1871 and remains active today. During the long history of the company many patterns were designed and sold. This is a guide about finding the value of Homer Laughlin dinnerware.

I have dinner plates, salad, bread, cups and saucers, but should I keep them and pass them on or should I give away?
Thanks.

Answers

Best Answer

It is a tough call what to do with dishes.

Most young people don't want fancy dishes, so selling locally is always a challenge even if they have market value. It all depends on someone's whim at the moment.

Most thrift stores don't like to take dishes because they sit for ages and take up space and get dusty and sell for very little. You could get a tax credit for the donation depending on where you donated. If that is helpful to you, it is an option if you can find an organization willing to take them.

My first line is to check around in the family first to see if someone loves them and wants them! There maybe someone just starting out who can use them.

My second line is that I have found there are sometimes churches or other religious organizations who take dishes if they are working with a family who needs them (like someone who just had a fire or if they re-settle refuge families).

If you want the cash, the only way I go (and I have done TONS of research) is to sell them through Replacements.com.

I say this because is lovely to work with and offer fair prices as long as you follow their instructions to a "T".

Also once I pack them up and ship them, they send a check and then they have to worry about storing until selling - I got my space back!

You do need to be very careful with packing and to save money consider using the USPS one price boxes. It may take a bunch of boxes...but it is the easiest way to ship on your own.

Hope this helps.

I have a box of Homer Laughlin china, the cameo pattern (green) and I'm wondering if I should donate it or if it might be worth something. I think I got it from my daughter who got it from her Mimi. The stamp on the bottom is F 56 N8. I can send pictures if you like, but they're in good shape, with no chips. I have bowls, saucers, coffee cups, and plates. Thanks for any information you can provide.

Answers

Best Answer

I always use Replacements.com to sell dishes. I sold over 30 of my nana's pieces a few years ago and made several hundred dollars.

If you go to their site and follow their directions, they will send you a bid sheet and let you know if they will buy them.

If they aren't buying...if you have a place like we do in Pittsburgh called Center for Creative Reuse, you may see if they want them for artists to break up and use in their mosaics.

My third suggestion is to do what I plan to do to a batch of pretty but otherwise unsellable dishes...I plan to break them myself and sell them on Ebay as a lot. If you go to Ebay and type in broken china mosaic tiles you can see they do sell pretty well! The key is breaking them so you preserve the pattern. The bonus to this method is smashing china when you are having a bad day is a great stress reliever :)

Good luck!!

I have some Homer Laughlin dishware, 4 saucer plates and one dinner plate. The saucer plates are dated January 1938. The dinner plate I'm guessing around the 20s. I got the dates through a code that is on the plates, but other than that I don't know anything else. Please help! I don't know anything about antique plates. Are they worth anything? Maybe a little history?

Thank you.

Answers

According to this article, the dishes are not worth much:

http://www.modb  icle3109231.html

Homer Laughlin china is very popular but only certain patterns/pieces are very valuable. Fiesta ware being the most popular and the early/original pieces still sell well.

Here is a little history:

https://www.fie  com/t-about.aspx

eBay and Replacements,LTD are the best places to find almost true value of china - what someone will actually pay. eBay has several thousand Homer Laughlin pieces listed and if you insert your pattern name, you may find some pieces for sale.
Replacements, LTD has a lot of pieces listed but the same here - insert your pattern name to see actual sale prices (if pieces are available). You can also go to their web site and ask questions.

http://www.repl  om/china/hlc.htm

Here is a pattern that looks similar to your photo but no pieces are available:

http://www.repl  uote/hlcgoba.htm

Currently not worth more than a couple of dollars for this pattern. But, the HL prices change every so often. I collect some, and am surprised at how the prices can fluctuate every 10 years or so.

I have platter with a reproduction of the Currier and Ives Niagara Falls suspension bridge print. It's in pink. It was made in the US by Homer Laughlin. I was wondering if it could be worth anything. There is no date on it.

Answers

A pink Currier and Ives Homer Laughlin First Steamboat is going for $23.00 on Etsy. https://www.ets  er&ref=auto1