Why Are My Cookies Flat?

Category Cookies
Flat chocolate chip cookies on a plate
It can be frustrating to watch your lovely cookies bake up flat rather than lightly puffy. This is a guide about, "Why are my cookies flat?".

This is a guide about chocolate chip cookies come out flat. It is frustrating and upsetting to bake up a batch of cookies only to have them all turn out flat.

Flat Chocolate Chip Cookies

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Why did my cookies come out flat?

By Vina from Berryton, KS

Best Answer

There can be several reasons. Maybe ingredients were old, maybe you forgot something, maybe they should had been cold going into the oven and the were too warm, and maybe the cookie sheet was too warm. I use 2 sheets and rotate them for this reason.

Best Answer

Sometimes it is your shortening. Use solid shortening like butter. If you use oiley margarine you get flat cookies.

What would make my cookies flatten out after I take them out of the oven? I have checked my baking soda and my baking powder to be sure they are fresh.

By Darlene from OH

Answers:

Why Are My Cookies Flat?

This came up not too long ago. Check it out: thriftyfun.com (12/26/2009)

By mrs.story

Why Are My Cookies Flat?

That happened to me too when I substituted butter instead of shortening (which the recipe called for.) When I followed the recipe exactly, it puffed up right. Good luck. (12/29/2009)

By PainterLee

Why Are My Cookies Flat?

From the Food Network: Cookies come out flat if the dough is not cold enough and/or the fat in the cookie was too soft.

Did your butter soften or melt? Was your dough chilled? Try chilling your dough every time. I hope this helps. (12/29/2009)

By Carly34