Wisteria Tree Form?

0
Share
2
Save
Follow
Print

I am trying to make my wisteria vine grow into a tree. How can I get the trunk to thicken?

The most important thing is to keep it trained on a bamboo stake so that it grows straight.

Here is a video:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK4Qp5DorMI

I absolutely love Wisteria but I have so many trees that it's difficult to find a place to plant a vine or even a 'tree' and know that it will have plenty of room to grow and not do any harm to my trees or structures. I do have several (2 in containers) but I have to keep them cut back so they never really grow to their potential.
I'm only mentioning this because location is very important to growing a Wisteria vine or tree/standard.

If your Wisteria is already planted be sure to take all these things into consideration before moving on.

As to thickening the trunk, this may be a slow process but I have noticed mine slowly increasing in size each year.
Check out the links for more information.
There are so many good sites explaining how to turn your Wisteria into a tree/standard that it would be waste of space to write it all down here.
I have heard that one of the biggest mistakes people make when starting this project is using too small of a support post.
Information:
"After planting the vine, install a 4 x 4 wooden post or a metal fence post to a depth of at least 12 to 18 inches in the ground with 4 to 5 feet or so of the post above ground. Depending on the size/diameter of the root ball of the plant, position the post about 3 to 6 inches away from where the base of the vine. The height of the post above the ground should be a foot higher than where you will want the base of the canopy of your Wisteria tree to start above ground."

Here are a couple of links that provide detailed instructions on turning your Wisteria into a tree/standard as well as other information. Some articles are long but good reading on how to do this. Each site has usuful information.
dengarden.com/.../Wisteria-Vine-Types-Care-and-Propagation
dengarden.com/.../How-To-Grow-Wisteria
www.whiteflowerfarm.com/how-to-grow-wisteria-standards
www.wilsonbrosgardens.com/training-wisteria-to-tree-form.html

Home and Garden Gardening Growing TreesMay 11, 2021
🌻
😎
🐛
🎆
👔
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Wisteria-Tree-Form.html