Year Old Great Dane Losing Weight

My Dane just turned one year old and ever since we switched him to adult food he's not been eating much unless I hand feed him his food. He keeps getting skinnier. I've switched his food twice now to find something he likes and it hasn't worked. I tried adding broth, rice, warm water, and eggs and it didn't help either.

He's allergic to beef so right now I'm feeding him Pro Plan Focus for large breeds. Does anyone have any good recommendations? For treats I give him peanut butter cookies and sandwiches since they're high in protein and chicken treats for training.

Hes very playful and active, I take him on runs and walks at least 3 times a weeks to get him out the house and exersise

I think this is a question for your vet. None of us has actually examined this dog, nor run tests on him.

What a sweet puppy face!!!

Sending up prayers! Any changes in eating habits ALWAYS warrant a call to the vet. Our gal had teeth problems and the vet got her squared away quickly. Our boy had food allergies, the vet got him fixed up.

As pup parents we want instant fixes, but I have learned from being a pet owner most of my life, the vet knows best and will get you on the right track!

Let me know what the vet says!!! Hope it is a simple fix!!! Hugs to the pup!!

I would see about calling the vet first. My friends have found lamb helps when they aren't keeping the food down.

I would leave the cookies and peanut butter sandwiches out of the mix. The contrast might be making the dog food taste pretty boring. Have you tried a good quality canned food? I agree with other posters that he needs to see a Vet right away.

I took him to the vet two weeks ago for a check up and he said hes in perfect condition except for allergies to grass and mold so thats what hes on meds for.

I would ask the vet if weight loss is a side effect of the meds and maybe he can adjust the dose. It could also be the allergies are causing malabsorption of the food. Can you keep him away from the grass and mold by setting indoor pee/poop pads inside.

Not ideal but it may get him over the hump and break the cycle. Use an old shower curtain understand the pads for extra protection and treat the space as going out so when you say out he kit is to go potty in the new place. Healing prayers continue for the pup!!