CatsPets

Younger Cat Aggressive Towards Older Sickly Cat

Joanie, a 6 month old kitten, has been ours since she was 4 weeks old. She's constantly attacking and bullying our old sickly cat Sammy. We have to either supervise them if they are in a room together or separate them. Joanie has lots of toys & gets lots of attention. We have 3 fountains and several food stations. She won't leave him alone. Any suggestions?

As kittens get older, they may try to gain dominance. I would try to keep them separate and make sure they have separate litter boxes.

I have read that some have had luck with a short spray of water (on the kitten) each time they do this and say a gentle but stern "no!".
Of course, you would be taking a chance that it may frighten your senior cat but maybe just spray the tip of the kitten's tail?

Cats are smart and maybe if the kitten is scolded a little and maybe ignored for a few minutes, it might let them know that it is not acceptable behavior.

I have had luck training my cat to stay away from a forbidden area with this method.

Thanks for your suggestion. I have tried that and she just ignores the spray. She knows what no means but in the case if Sammy, she ignores me.

I guess Im just going to have to wait it out and keep them apart as much as possible.

Wish it had worked because its so easy.
Hopefully it is a passing attraction and they will soon become buddies as I feel sure they probably both need a companion.
It is good that you have patience and I hope it gets better soon.

How sad. This is so common. Everyone I know who has had this kitty challenge has had to keep the fur babies separate. Baby gates help, but closed doors are better.

You could try to see if the vet can offer anything for the younger gal. Make sure there are not any health issues and perhaps a low dose of an anti anxiety med.

Prayers for all!!

Thank you! It certainly is a challenge!!

I always feel bad when this happens. I used to babysit kitties that had to be separated.

It was the exact same situation. When the older one crossed he rainbow bridge, the baby became so docile.

Yes Im sure that will happen. Joanie is perfectly fine, no behavior issues when shes alone. I feel so bad for Sammy, he gets put in a room more often than Id like, and a little bit less attention than before. But its for his own safety since he cant defend himself. I think sometimes shes trying to play with him and she doesnt understand he doesnt play anymore. Sometimes she gets rough out of jealousy.