Product FinderConsumer Advice

Zipper Foot for Older Brother Sewing Machine

I recently inherited an old Brother SA141 sewing machine, but I'm having a hard time finding parts for it. I believe it was made in the 1970s? In particular, I'm looking for a zipper presser foot. Is there another model that is compatible? Thanks for your help!

By Katrina

The company has a website with customer service email and phone for assistance.

I don't see many Brother machines in the sewing classes I teach here in the UK, and have only done a little repair on them (I do mostly Singer work) but I'm pretty sure that model Brother machine uses a snap-on, low shank foot. It should be compatible with any universal low-shank/snap-on foot off the rack at a sewing centre, or from any online shop including Amazon (I've bought a number of presser feet very happily from Amazon sellers).

If it's a high shank, adapters are available, too, so you should be able to find what you need as a 'universal' presser foot no matter high or low shank.

If going to a sewing centre (if in the US, try Jo-Ann or Hancock's first) be sure to take the machine with you, and ask a sales clerk to let you try the feet to be sure. Usually their staff can look at your machine and go right to the proper foot on their rack.

If buying online, use the contact form to check the foot you're considering buying will be compatible with your machine. Also, look closely at the product description and compare their photos and drawings with your machine - buy the one that matches your machine, and once delivered you'll be away with the sewing faeries:)