Making Walnut Potato Bread
This delicious whole grain vegan bread uses mashed potatoes and oil to replace the dairy. Walnut pieces are added for additional flavor and a bit of nice nutty texture. The full recipe and easy to follow steps, with photos, follows.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
I received a book last Christmas called "Whole Grain Vegan Baking" and have recently have had a lot of fun making the recipes in it. The jist of these recipes is they replace the egg and dairy with potatoes, squash, and other vegetables. Also oils and vegan yogurt.
Total Time: 2 hours, including prep, cooking, cleanup, etc
Yield: 2 small loaves
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 1 Tbsp molasses
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 2.5 cups white whole wheat flour or more (I opted for about 1/2 cup more)
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 6 oz mashed potato
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup (at least) walnuts
This is a straight-up bread recipe. I ended up adding extra flour because it was too moist as is.
- In a medium size bowl, combine 1/4 cup of the water, molasses, and yeast. Allow to sit for 5 minutes to activate yeast.
- Put flour and salt in the bowl.
- Mix the potato, remaining 1/2 cup of water, and oil in a medium bowl.
- Pour potato, water, and oil into the flour mixture.
- Add yeast mixture.
- Knead on lightly floured surface for 8 minutes or so.
- Add walnuts after 4 minutes of kneading time, until dough is smooth and pliable but not too sticky. If too sticky, add more flour.
- Shape into a ball. Place dough in a large bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let it rise for an hour and a half.
- After that time, punch down dough and divide into 2 equal parts. Flour your hands, and shape each into an approximately 8 inch loaf.
- Place loaves on baking sheet, making sure bottom is well floured. Cover with plastic wrap.
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Remove plastic wrap and bake for 24 minutes, or until the loaves are deep brown in color and sound hollow when the bottoms are tapped.
- Let cool on a wire rack.
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.