Use Less Ingredients When Baking

When making cookies and squares, I never find that I need as many chocolate chips or nuts as the recipe calls for. Manufacturers are trying to sell their product. I don't believe in reducing the amount too much. By only putting in what is needed, I have reduced the fat content of the sweets and have some ingredients left over for the next batch.

By Kathy

Anonymous

You can also reduce the sugar content of the cookies by using a sugar substitute.

This is a great idea. I do it with laundry soap and such; cut just a little from recommended to save; but never considered it in cooking. I'll take you up on this one. Thanks for the tip.

My sister had a lot of kids. They always fought over who got the most chocolate chips in a cookie. She finally came up with a solution. She put five chips into each cookie after she spooned the dough onto the pan.

I also cut the amount of chips in a recipe, using too many ruins the cookie/bar flavor for me anyway.

Excellent tip. Especially when you consider how much foods cost in the grocery store. If you just save back 1/4 cup of chocolate chips for instance, after making 4 batches of cookies, you'll be able to make one more batch of chocolate chip cookies. Stretching foods just a little during an economic slow-down is wise to say the least.

Thumbs Up

Songwriter

This is a great tip! I love nuts though & always put more in than called for, LOL! I also like chocolate chips & so do my kids, but I've discovered that if I use the mini chocolate chips, not only can I use less,but it seems like more, so none of us feel deprived! My mom makes her chocolate chip cookies with no chocolate chips!

I too cut out about half of the chocolate chips - usually there are way too many in the recipes.

This is wonderful information, not only to save money, but to make your recipes more healthy. As a retired Home Ec. teacher, I know all too well that there is a Type 2 diabetes epidemic for children in the U.S. This is caused by eating too much sugar, candy, sodas and processed foods like chips, crackers and white flour. Many children are also suffering from overweight, which leads to many health problems. Cut back on the sugar, fats, whole fat dairy and substitute whole wheat flour for at least half of the white flour. Encourage your children to play outside and be active.