BreadFood Tips

Homemade Bread Has a Cake-like Texture

I have recently started making my bread, but it seems to have a slightly cake-like texture to it. The dough is not too dry. I knead it well, and it rises. What can I do to give it a more bread-like texture? All help welcome.

By Carole from Chelmsford, UK

Are you using unbleached all purpose flour? What type of bread are you making? What kind of yeast are you using? Are you using a bread maker or doing it by hand? Are you using a cookbook recipe or?
Jo

Hi carole, are you using bread making flour? Normal flour doesn't give you good results. Do you add bread improver? this may help. Try and find a good bread making book, at the library. I have found some in charity stores, read read read and you will find the answers. Also buy a very good black loaf pan. The right tin also makes a big difference, hope this has helped you, you will get there. Practice makes perfect. regards gail from Qld Australia.

One of the secrets for good home made bread is to use your potato water for the liquid, the added starch makes it rise better and more texture. Also, a commom problem is that people use way to much flour, I find that the less flour i can use to make it kneadable is better, yes, dough may be a bit sticky, but use flour for your board and hands, this will eliminate the problem. My Aunt, was a cook, and taught me how to make bread when I was young, bless her heart. Hope this helps.

Ironically, I am looking for homemade bread WITH that cake-like texture, that you don't want When I was living in a foster home 50+ years ago, the woman made fresh homemade bread with right-from-the-farm milk and butter. I had never tasted anything like it and never have since. Would love to have some again. (Was thinking of buying a bread machine and finding a recipe, probably like yours)