Shop Thrift Stores for Off Season Clothes

We all know shopping at thrift stores is a great way to save money on things, but I have found that I save even more if I go in late in a season to look for clothes for the next season. I found my son's fall raincoat in the end of summer for under $2, and I noticed that in the middle of fall when it was rainy and chilly, coats that were very similar were priced at about $4-$5. Not a gigantic savings by itself, but save $2-$3 on just 8 items a year and you have $24 in your pocket.

I got all the items in the picture in late summer and it only cost me about $10 for all of them. I combined shopping in summer for fall stuff and a 50% off coupon for the thrift store. I still would have only paid $20 for all of those items, when at the mall, I would have probably only been able to buy one, maybe two of them for that price.

By Shannon from Lakewood, OH

Very good idea! Saving a little here, a little there can really add up.

This is something that I will have to keep in mind. Thank you for posting!

I have bought winter/rain clothes in the middle of summer heat for peanuts. One stylish vinyl raincoat was on the dollar rack & I landed a London Fog trench coat for under $10. Also, in the heat, I found duckshoe boots with leather tops for $7. They all will last me for years! It doesn't rain often here in S. Calif., but when it does, it's a torrent, so we have to be prepared! Also true of winter sweaters and such.

Summer clothes, conversely, are great deals when everyone else is shivering!

I, too, am a big lover and supporter of my local thrift stores. I especially love shopping when they have end of season sales. It's unbelievable what you can save, while helping the environment at the same time. There is too much disposable stuff in our society; we need to keep recycling and reusing as much as we can. My condo, too, is filled with beautiful treasures from all around the world that I've found at thrift stores.

It's very unique (which is the name of my favorite thrift store)! I always feel really good about my purchases, and encourage everyone I know to shop at their local thrift stores. Often they donate much of their proceeds to worthy causes. You're helping yourself and others - as well as the Earth - and that's a pretty good combination!

Better Living Frugal Living ShoppingOctober 25, 2011
📓
🌻
🐛