HealthPets
To Top

Watch For Blue Vomit In Pet Poisoning

Last night we had a terrible scare. Our 1 1/2 year old Chihuahua, Bruiser came out of the garage with a forgotten rat bait. We thought we had thrown them all away. It didn't look like he ate it, but just carried it in to show us. We immediately called the emergency vet. We were told to induce vomiting with either hydrogen peroxide or salt.

Ad

The vet recommended making a paste of salt and water, about 1 tablespoon. Force it down his throat, within minutes he started throwing up. Nothing blue, (the color of rat bait). He vomited about 4 times and nothing blue so he was OK. The vet said that is the reason they color the poison, so you will know if it has been ingested. It works by causing internal bleeding.

If you suspect a pet had been poisoned call your vet immediately, inducing vomiting may be correct for this kind of poisoning, but may not be correct for other kinds of poison.

By Peg from Cortland, OH

Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

April 10, 20090 found this helpful

Glad you saw him grab that, and that your baby is OK.

Tracey in Jacksonville FL

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Ad

April 11, 20090 found this helpful

Animals killed by poison still contain the poison and are as deadly as the orignal poison. If you don't know where the poisoned animals go to die; you have no idea where deadly poisons are lying about your home and yard.

Would you want to eat from your garden if you knew your neighbor used poisons on rodents that in theory went outside to die?

ANY kind of poison, insecticide, cleansers, fertilizers, etc should never be placed where pets or a small child could possibly get to them.

If you think you have a rodent; the responsible thing to use are selectively placed humane or good old snap traps. Yes, you have to drive the live ones to set free or someone has to look at the dead rodent for a sec to toss it out but you can't risk your pets lives because you're squeamish. You also get rid of the dead rodent instead of it dying somewhere in your home.

Ad

Safety is a great byproduct of using natural homemade cleansers too.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related Content
Categories
Pets HealthApril 10, 2009
Guides
Food Poisoning
Preventing Food Poisoning
Cleaning a Leather Couch
Vomit on a Leather Couch
Cleaning Carpet
Cleaning Vomit Odors from Carpet
Cleaning Carpet
Removing Vomit Stains from Carpet
More
🎃
Halloween Ideas!
Facebook
Pinterest
YouTube
Contests!
Newsletters
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Categories
Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Published by .

Generated 2017/10/10 17:22:26 in 633 msecs. ⛅️️ ⚡️
Loading Something Awesome!