AdviceHealth & Beauty

Getting Rid of Coating on Teeth From Chewing Gum

I am 69 and have chewed gum "all my life", without and with dentures. I have not had trouble with gum sticking to teeth. I have chewed stick gum and the coated "Chicklet" type of gum. For almost a year now, when I chew gum, I get a coating on my dentures. I am forever running my tongue over my teeth or using a tissue or napkin to wipe this stuff off. Does anyone else have this problem and what do you do about it? I need to chew the gum to help get rid of dry mouth.

By Linda from Bloomington, IL from Bloomington, IL

Tha only gum I can chew with dentures is dent free. I belive thats the full name. I do know it has free as the last name.

I chew bubble yum

Anonymous

My Nicorette gum sticks to my dentures terribly is there any advice for that

I think you're talking about Freedent. It's what I chew, because I, too, have dry mouth. Linda, if you haven't had trouble, I'd love to know what brand of gum you're chewing.

Anonymous

I am not sure what type of gum to use but I also am prone to dry mouth and I've found that being sure to brush my teeth upon waking, after every single meal or snack and before going to bed and also rinsing with water after even drinking a cup of coffee, juice or soda, etc has greatly made a difference because, besides medications and health issues, bacteria also causes dry mouth. I realized just how true doing this works when the nights I didn't brush and rinse before bed were the only nights I woke up with dry mouth. I am fairly certain that having dentures and general mouth cleanliness (because my mom had dentures from the time I was a year old) is no different and need to be kept clean to reduce bacteria too.

Linda soak your dentures in Efferdent to get rid of the film. Use a stiff denture brush to brush the particles away. And if you are talking about during the day, you will probably just have to rinse your dentures more often under warm water and bring your denture brush with you to brush them as well.

I chew Wrigleys sugar free chewing gum,it provides good saliva,I also clean my teeth and rinse my mouth out before going to bed and spray with biotene mouth wash for dry mouth,I still wake up with dry mouth as I am a mouth breather.

I get the gum coating too and I get it from chewing Freedent gum. The gum doesn't stick itself to my dentures but it leaves a yucky, sticky film that can't be soaked or scrubbed off.

It got so bad my dentures turned florescent yellow. I am to the point of giving up gum and I don't want too. Help!

Sami A. I too experience the sticky residue after chewing gum.
Freedent loses it's flavor too fast, so I chew Extra. What I do is brush my dentures with denture toothpaste, then use a wooden toothpick to remove the residue while the denture still has toothpaste on it, rinse and repeat until it's gone, then soak in cleaner. It's a bit tedious, but I enjoy gum too much. I just read that you can use vegetable oil to gently rub the residue off, I'm going to try that. Also, never use anything metal to clean your dentures. Good luck!

Thanks! I might try the vegetable oil trick. Every night before bed I have to use my fingernail to try to scrape off the hardened gum left on the edges of the artificial teeth on my partial. I can scrape it off (and it is tedious) but it still leaves my partial teeth stained the color of the gum, sort of a fluorescent green from Wrigley's Extra.

that tint doesn't seem to come off. I will try vegetable oil to see if it makes the gum any easier to get off.