AdviceGifts

Giving Teachers Plants As Gifts

Teachers, would you like a potted plant for Christmas? Our children have grown plants all year round and they are looking pretty good. Would these be appropriate Christmas gifts from kiddos or would they just be seen as more work? Thanks for your input.

MomtoAll from In Bliss

My husband the teacher found it nice to have green plants in his classroom - as long as they are of the variety to clean the air and are not high maintenance - because there are those weeks of school vacation. His spider plant did very well. YOu might also get your child to help maintain it!

I would say it would depend on the teacher. It would help clear this up if you visited the room and see if there are already plants there. My rooms were always filled with them. Also, in the course of a conversation you could mention that your child likes to grow plants and see what kind of response you get.

By Mrs. Brooks (Guest Post)

I would love a plant as a gift. Our school has a "no plant" policy inside the school.

So if you give the gift, don't be offended if you do not see it in the classroom.

I would love a plant! I think it is a very thoughtful gift.

By Linda (Guest Post)

I'm a retired teacher and I always had plants in the classroom. Offer to take the plant home for vacations and summer if the teacher would like you to do so. Maybe send a bit of plant food now and then with directions how to use it. Be sure to send the appropriate saucer, if needed so teacher doesn't have to scramble to find one.

As a retired teacher, I think a gift of a plant would be lovely. I always had plants in my classroom. I am appalled that there would be a school that had a no plant policy.

I think that it is a very appropriate gift. I would be sure to let the teacher know that these are plants that the kids have grown themselves.

By Judy (Guest Post)

I think it's a great gift. I am a teacher, and if I got that, it would outlast many other gifts I've received, and I would think of your child whenever I looked at it. However, any gift is fine. A teacher is thrilled to receive a gift for a job well done.