Stretching Butter With Oil

Stretch your butter budget and make it a little healthier. Save money on buying butter spreads. Make your own and know what those ingredients are that are in it!

Cut back on saturated fat and use much less butter on your toast and muffins by softening 2 sticks of butter to room temperature. Then put the whisk attachment on your stand mixer (I use a Kitchen Aid).

Start whipping those two sticks of butter while you slowly drizzle one cup of vegetable, olive, or canola oil into it. (Your choice of oil). I like the canola because olive oil adds it's own taste to the butter. Canola oil leaves the butter tasting like butter.

Scrape up the sides now and then to incorporate all the butter into the oil. Whip until light and fluffy. It might look like a light cake batter when it's done. Pour it into individual containers with lids and refrigerate until needed.

Use for frying eggs or sauteing vegetables because the oil raises the burning point of the butter and it won't burn as easily. It's delicious on toast, English muffins or crackers. It stays soft right out of the refrigerator. Try grilled cheese sandwiches. The butter just glides across the bread.

I hope you try this. My nutritionist was thrilled when I told her about this.

By Deb from Williamstown, New Jersey

Thank you so much for this idea. I was at Wal Mart today reading ingredients on all the spreads and ended up buying an expensive brand of whipped butter because I didn't want all those unhealthy additives. Now I will use your idea and, like you said, I will save money and know I'm getting the ingredients I want.

Did you ever think about the plastic that's melting off the container