BeefMeats

Deviled Beef

"Deviled", when it comes to chicken and meats, means a spicy sauce with Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and cayenne pepper. This is a recipe I threw together when I had a cheap cut of beef that I wanted to make into a tender, spicy meal.

• 2 lbs. beef (about 1 inch thick, or a bit less. Use the cheapest pieces you can find, trimmed of fat)
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 1 tsp. dry mustard powder
  • 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 2 large onions, sliced thin
  • 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 Tbsp. chili sauce
  • 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 2 tsp. yellow mustard (not powdered)
  • 1 Tbsp. horseradish
  • 1 (16 oz.) can diced tomatoes with juice
  • 1/2 cup water

Directions:

Mix the flour, mustard, and cayenne pepper. Rub some into the beef, then use a metal meat tenderizer to pound the steak, repeating on the other side. I don't have a meat tenderizer, so I do what my mother did, and I use the side of a sturdy saucer. Brown the beef quickly and thoroughly on both sides.

Cover beef completely in the onions, then pour the tomatoes evenly over top. Mix the rest of the ingredients and pour over. Put, uncovered, in a 325 degree F oven until the sauce has thickened (you may have to add a little more water) and the meat is tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I like it with mashed potatoes, but my roommate prefers rice - either one is great!

Like most recipes, you should tinker around with the ingredients. You might like more, or less, of any of them. I taste the sauce when it's close to being done, and usually end up adding more of a least of couple of them, especially the Worcestershire sauce.

By Free2B from North Royalton, OH

Probably a bit too spicy for us, but I'll bet the flavor is just delicious. On top of everything else, I have an ulcer now, and I really have to be careful. Next thing, I'll be losing my head if it comes untied.

Thanks for another great recipe to share with friends and family.
Thumbs Up Barb.

Pookarina