WildlifePhotos

Scenery: Alaskan Rookery

contest winner icon

This was a treat for me. I live in Missouri and am visiting my mom in Alaska. I went out on Prince William Sound and saw this "rookery" (the nesting place of birds, such as crows and rooks, the source of the term.)

The breeding grounds of colony forming seabirds and marine mammals (true seals or sea lions) and even some turtles are also referred to as rookeries.

By Noella from Anchorage, AK for now

My mom lived in Fairbanks, so when I visited her in 1981, I was in love with the state from then on. I lived there 5 times after that, even through the coldest of winters.

The photo op's up there never end. I lived in Anchorage the last time in 2000-2001 and loved the fact that I could get up every morning and be almost completely surrounded by snow covered mountains.
But I warn you...you will have to go home soon, and may not want to!!
Here is one of my favorite shots.
Sandi/Poor But Proud

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Your picture is wonderful. I visited Alaska last year and cannot wait to go back. I've talked with people who have been to both Alaska and Hawaii and would choose to go back to Alaska first!

I was in awe of the bald eagles that were everywhere like robins are here. Bringing back the eagles is a true success story up there.

Reply Like this photo? Yes