AdviceFrugal Living

Dress Well For Less Money

I just got dressed up to go downtown to a concert I was invited to; wearing my $7 silk pants, my $5 nylon top and silk jacket ($5 too, I think) and my $7 thrift shop purse. I had splurged on a necklace, the silver cuff was something I had inherited and the earrings were from the 99 cent store! So without the necklace, my outfit cost less than about $30! Just to show it can be done. I dress so well on occasion, I think people think I am really making more money than I do! But in L.A., it's good to keep people guessing.

By Pamphyila from Los Angeles

Good for you! I just love a bargain!

Once you bring new clothes home from the store, wash & wear them, they're not really new anymore, after a few wearings they're equivalent to items at the thrift store, which can be obtained for far less cost. Many very nice, even new, items are available at thrift stores. There's nothing wrong w/ saving $.

Your outfit sounds beautiful. You should include a picture so we can see the results of your "barg'in Shoppin"

Harlean from Arkansas

You sound as excited as I do when I find a bag of clothing all my size, many with price tags, complete with jewelry and often shoes I can wear with other things. Since I can't AFFORD thrift stores anymore, and have finally gotten accustomed to being low income, I am not hard to please and just try for simple sheek? rather than what could have been shaggy sheek had God not led me right to the bags/boxes tossed by wasteful socialites in our area
Just last evening a neighbor placed a big open boxful of things she didn't want, and there were all sorts of new things for my grandson to give to his mom and aunt when he makes his next visit real soon. We would not have been able to give them a thing otherwise. (I find new/bubble wraped items I can sell, too.) I remember when I could afford to be picky, but now I can't imagine my being so wasteful!

God bless you. : )

Even if you don't want to send us a pic of yourself wearing the outfit, you could always just take a pic of the outfit on a hanger!

I say More power to you!! and remember every time you save that much money, take the amount the outfit "SHOULD" have cost and put that amount into your retirement acct. You will be So grateful you did one day when you are old. I am all for saving but remember to stick that savings into a "safe place!" or it will fall through your fingers some other way. Many blessings, kimi Sunshine

A suggestion for getting really good bargains is to volunteer some time at a charity shop, you don't get paid cash for it but you do get first pick of new items and if you're really lucky maybe a staff discount. So it's a win - win situation.