AdviceGardening

Moss Growing on Lilac Bushes

I have several lilac bushes that are covered with moss and lichen. They are dying. Are the lilacs dying because of the moss and lichen or is the moss and lichen growing on them because they're dying? What do I do about it? They are planted on the North side of my home as part of a lilac hedge in rainy Seattle! The others are doing okay but I worry the moss may spread to them.

By Cyinda from near Seattle

I had the same problem with my crepe myrtles. I contacted the landscaper that planted these for me and he said that I first need to spray with a fungicide, then immediately dust with Sevin dust. I did, and it worked. If you don't get this under control, it will spread to other plants in your yard and you'll lose some of your landscape. Hope this helps.