Foods That Lower Blood Pressure

Which foods are good for lowering your blood pressure?

By Celia from TX

Good eating habits, regular physical activity and weight management are important for controlling high blood pressure. Here are some fun strategies that make it easy.
Eat a rainbow.
Pile on the fruits and veggies. Colorful and delicious, eating a fruit-and-veggie rich diet is a great way to help lower your blood pressure.
Get moving.
It's not all about "formal" exercise. Take the stairs. Park further away. Getting a total of 30 minutes of movement on most days is good..
Remember, before beginning or modifying your diet or exercise program, talk to your doctor.good luck.

I am struggling with that myself. Yes, diet and exercise help. I've noticed when my weight increases my high blood pressure goes even higher. Trying to be healthier.

I have read that potassium (bananas, potatoes) can help reduce high blood pressure. Making sure you get enough minerals like magnesium (leafy greens/spinach).
That is all I have found so far.

Here is a link to the DASH eating plan published on the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute website:
www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/hbp/dash/new_dash.pdf
Just copy and paste it into your browser. I have found this to be rather helpful in my journey to lower blood pressure. And I definitely agree with kffrmw88. I noticed very quickly that a steady diet of exercise helped greatly! Good luck! :)

Anonymous

One more thing to keep in mind is reducing sodium intake. Too much sodium can shoot blood pressure through the roof. Read the sodium amounts on labels of all packaged foods and also reduce suggested salt amounts in recipes.

Not just regular salt but also things like garlic salt by using garlic powder instead. But only use 1/2 the amount of powder because it's powerful. ;-) If you do some Googling you can also find out how much sodium is naturally in fresh foods.