Use Leftover Coleslaw for Second Meal

My family loves coleslaw and salads and I make them often BUT not with mayo or salad cream. I dress them with a little oil and vinegar and then serve them up. If they prefer, they can add mayo or salad dressing to their portion on their plates.

Whatever is left in the serving bowl, whether it is coleslaw or salad, is stir fried with a little soy sauce and whatever leftover meat I happen to have, like chopped ham, bits of bacon, any leftover (cooked) chicken or beef. Sometimes I fry a sliced onion before I put in the coleslaw or salad for extra flavour. Serve it over noodles, leftover pasta or rice. Add a dash of tabasco to spice it up, if you wish. Nothing is wasted and my family enjoys another meal the next day for LITERALLY pennies! I know it sounds odd, but it is delicious.

By Cettina from Malta, Europe

What exactly is salad cream?

By Nance (Guest Post)

Great idea! With Chinese flavorings such as soy sauce and mu shu sauce, and flour tortillas, it makes a mu shu wrap.

Salad cream is very much like mayo but not so thick and creamy. It has a sharper taste coz it has more vinegar in it than mayo.

Here in Europe - since I assume you live in the U.S. - it's very popular. I personally prefer it to mayo.

Leftover salad and cole slaw are great on sandwiches, too. Leftover fish and coleslaw make a fish taco. It can be as simple as just fish and coleslaw or add other veggies like red bell peppers, onions, and pickles. Delicious!

Food and Recipes Food Tips LeftoversJuly 22, 2008
🎂
🌻
📓