Yellowed Curtains?

How do I get my yellowed curtains white again? They are 100% cotton with cotton lace.

By Debbie

Here is an old trick I learned while working in an antique clothing store. Soak the curtains overnight in whole Vitamin D milk, making sure they are submerged totally. Next day, rinse with cool water, then wash gently in warm water with a mild detergent. This worked for wedding gowns as well as lace curtains and handmade doilies. Hope this helps.

Anonymous

Thank you I'll do that

Anonymous

I have curtains that were white at one time and now they have turned a yellow dingy color.I have tried soaking them in oxi clean in warm water then rinsing an leaving them in the wash all day and they never came out white.what do I do?? Have also tried bleach and I use Tide Simply Clean and fresh for a laundry soap.what else can I do? Please Help! I'm desperate.

Anonymous

Sry to say but, how does vitamin D whole milk help to turn things white?

It's the lactic acid in the milk, not the vitamin D that helps take the dinge out. It somehow loosens the bonds of the dinge so that the soap can do its work.

What if the care label says to dry clean only?

My mom was able to get an old christening dress white by soaking in Ivory Snow detergent overnight, then washing on gentle with more Ivory Snow, and then hanging in the sun. I couldn't believe how white it was when she was finished. The sun is a great bleaching agent.

Silver Feedback Medal for All Time! 450 Feedbacks

It depends on why they are yellow. If it is nicotine stain you must wash the curtains several times in Dawn liquid then wash with bleach. Rinse in vinegar.

This worked on antique linens when I had an antique business. Fill washer with water, add 1/4 to 1/2 cup ammonia, allow curtains to soak a short time (an hour should do).

Add detergent (less than usual) and run through wash and rinse cycle. Hang in the sun to dry.

Home and Garden Cleaning Blinds and CurtainsMay 14, 2010
🐛
🌻
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf16161840.tip.html