AdviceHealth & Beauty

Are Health Food Store Vitamins Worth the Extra Cost?

Does anyone really think whole food vitamins, like Megafood and Source of Life, that you buy at the health food store are a lot better for you? Are they worth the extra cost?

By Angie from Cleveland, TN

I have often wondered that too Angie. The industry is not regulated so it is hard to say isn't it? Maybe someone on here knows.

Anonymous

It's like so many products that tout being natural and better for you (including shampoo, etc) that charge an arm and a leg for their product because of their labeling. Just because they are from a health store or say natural well that doesn't really mean anything because, as Laniegirl mentioned that vitamins are not strictly regulated, and neither are the other 'natural labeled' nonsense products like lotions and shampoos that can say they are natural simply because one ingredient is made from petroleum, which is indeed a natural product, that even gasoline is made from.

Your best bet is to look towards less expensive brands of vitamins and minerals at your pharmacy and ask the pharmacist what they think about particular brands. I buy 'Finest Natural' brand or Walgreens brand of vitamins and minerals on the cheap by waiting for their (Walgreens) 'buy one get one free' sales. They usually always have one or the other on sale at least once a month. They are, even not on sale, less expensive than the health stores type brands. I am immune deficient because of Emphysema and did a lot of homework to decide on these brands and since they work well for me I can't imagine that they wouldn't work equally well for you and most likely will save you up to 75% off of the 'Whole Natural Brands'. :-)

Consumer groups have tested vitamins. Guess which ones came out on top?Not the expensive ones! Number one is Costco's brand. Walmart/Sams brand is also right up there in the top group-and they are both some of the most inexpensive brands!

Just really confused if the whole food vitamins are really that or if regular vitamins are just as healthy for you.

It is my personal experience that the Walmart and Sam's Club vitamins do very well. I have used glucosamine for my knees from Sam's Club with success. Then, when I happened to be at a health food store and bought their supplements for my knees for the convenience of it as I was already there, I was very disappointed that they didn't do hardly anything at all. Save your money and just buy from Walmart or Sam's club. No, I don't own stock or work there, I just hate to waste money and my time with not feeling well. Good Luck!