Prenatal Vitamins For Hair Growth

Many women take prenatal vitamins to improve hair growth. This is a guide about prenatal vitamins for hair growth.

I would like to try prenatal vitamins to make my hair grow. But I am not sure which vitamin I am actually looking for. Can anyone help?

Nichola from England

Answers

Is it Vitamin E? Take pre-natals anyway.. they are cheaper and are just multi-vitamins with extra folic acid. If you eat poorly...take vitamins. I have always drank alot of milk and I have always had thick hair(grows fast) and long nails(fast too) So maybe calcium? best wishes.

The only difference between prenatal vitamins & other vitamins is that they contain a higher dose of folic acid & folic acid does nothing to help in hair growth. It's just a "old wives tale" that prenatal vitamins will help your hair grow faster because most women's hair DOES grow faster when they are pregnant because of their hormones (then it can later fall out or stop growing for a little while after the baby is born) My hair did exactly that when I was pregnant all 3 times. If you NEED vitamins & are deficient in them, then & ONLY THEN will vitamins help your hair grow... But, what might help is protein... Hair is made from protein. You can drink plain gelatin or even eat egg whites like body builders do... But each persons hair has 3 stages: A growth stage, a dormant stage & a stage where it no longer grows & falls out. It's how long your growth cycle is that determines the actual length your hair will grow to. For example, in general, a Black woman of African descent's hair will usually stop growing at shoulder length, while a Chinese, or an Asian women's hair can grow to well below the hips. (This is why the manufactures of human hair wigs go to India & China to "contract" women to grow their hair to a certain length for them) The average person's hair grows at about half an inch per month & there's really nothing you can do to speed up the hairs growth cycle. If someone tries to sell you a product that will make your hair grow faster... It just will NOT work. It's all about genetics. The Gelatin & egg white protein I mentioned above are only to make the hair stronger so it won't break off or split as easily. But the truth is, unless you are protein deficient, they won't help your hair either. Some women's hair will grow faster when they take birth control hormones, (& some women's won't) but there's all kinds of problems associated with these hormones too.

For more info on how hair grows:
http://hairloss … esearch/hair.cfm

If your hair is falling out, there ARE some natural things you can do to help, like using the food additive "Polysorbate 80". It's an emulsifier. You put it on your scalp in the areas where your have hair loss & massage it in for several minutes before shampooing & it binds with the oil that's clogging up your hair's pores. This works best in men that have oily scalps, but it usually won't help if it's a hormonal thing that's causing the hair loss. You can buy Polysorbate 80 for about $10 for 8 ounces at most Health Food Stores in the USA.

I don't think it's the prenatals that make your hair grow so well. I think it's actually the pregnancy hormones that do it. The reason I think that is because I started taking them about 2 months before I got pregnant, and now, 4 months into my pregnancy, I'm still not seeing the results. I was upset about this, naturally, and asked my OB about it. She said that it takes a while for the hormones to kick in everywhere, and that despite the vitamins, my hair would take its time getting fuller and thicker, just depending on the progesterone. ("What to Expect When You're Expecting" confirms this, too)

Honestly, though, vitamins probably wouldn't hurt, but I don't know that I'd recommend prenatals over just an average daily multivitamin. First off, prenatals have a lot more minerals than regular vitamins because pregnant women need more than your average woman, and that may or may not be a good thing for you personally. Second, there's an awful lot of iron, and that can be, um, uncomfortable. I'd ask your doctor, only because vitamins are medications, just like any other over-the-counter pill, and there's always a possibility that you could have a bad reaction to something in them. Always good to play it safe, you know?

It is the folic acid. My mom takes it for help with her balding and thinning hair.

I was told by my OBGYN doctor to take pre-natal vitamins for thinning hair and chipping nails. It has made my hair thicker. I've had a lot of people comment on how thick it is! That was not always the case. It started to thin with the onset of menopause. Anyway, the doctor told me to buy the store brands in the large containers because they are cheaper. You can get "Pre-natal" vitamins at Target and Walmart.

My mom (78) had problems with thinning hair, where she actually wore a fall. One day when I took her out, I noticed she did not have her fall and her hair looked full and longer! She told me she takes MSM. I am taking it too (genetics) She said it takes about 6 month to notice a difference. Hers was dramatic!

Mary mentioned MSM. My sister knows a woman who took MSM. She also said it took 6 months, and had good results. Don't know how many pills a day she took - believe they mention taking 1 to 3 pills a day.

I swear my hair grew so much when I was on prenatal vitamins. The funny thing is that my hair used to grow really slow. My daughter is 10 so I have not taken these vitamin in years - but my hair never quit growing fast. Unbelieveable.
http://www.savi … ri.blogspot.com/

I was wondering if it was okay for me to be taking prenatal vitamins, I'm also on birth control. My sisters are the ones who recommended them for me because I want my hair to grow faster, but I've heard that it's bad for you to take if your not pregnant, and do not want to become pregnant. Is this true? Should I not take them?

By Cortney