SceneryPhotos

Scenery: Rustic Outhouse

Do you remember the days when the restroom was outside?

By Peggy from Elizabethtown, NC

Rustic Outhouse

I'm 68. Although I don't remember when we didn't have in-door plumming, I DO remember having a three holer attached to the end of the workshop, on the end of the woodshed attached to the house. Didn't have to go outdoors(which in Vermont, was good in the winter time) As I said we had indoor plumbing, but the outhouse was sure handy went we had a lot of company.

I will soon be 65 and I do remember having to use them. Nasty things.

I am 55 and my cousin, Hanlie. now 48, used to make herself sick for any strange smell, even imagined. When we moved in 1964 to a house with an outhouse, euphemistically called "The Parliament" by my mother, my aunt thought Hanlie would never, ever use the outhouse without making herself sick! But Hanlie was fascinated by the outhouse-key hanging from the back of one of the kitchen chairs and the fact that she could use this strange new arrangement! This cured Hanlie forever from making herself sick!

A friend had one of these on his 'bush block" Looked very much like the one in the picture. The door was off its hinges, so when you had to 'go' you went inside then picked up the door and placed it over the gap till you had finished!

I remember it well, if not joyfully! Fortunately, I grew up in the South, so did not have to endure harsh winters as some have described. I loved seeing the picture, but don't miss those nasty things at all! Ha! God bless you all!

I read an article about people who actually use these old outhouses as archeological digs because of the incredible old things they can find buried under them. I guess once something got dropped in, it wasn't worth retrieving!

My Grandma didn't get indoor plumbing until the early 60's. Yes, I remember the smell, the snakes, the spiders, the skunks, the sound of flies while you're trying to perform your duty, mosquitoes in the summer and cold butts in the winter. Aw well, those were fun days too!!

Yes, I remember our outhouse. I'm 60 now and we lived with my grandparents while my Dad was gone to War. We had a 2 holer way out back by the pigs & chickens. In the winter when it was snowing, Grampa fixed us a bucket to use in a small closet off the back of the house. He would take the bucket outside to the outhouse to empty every night. Bless his heart. I never realized how awful that was until I got older and we got indoor plumbing.

Yes, I remember the days of the outhouse, I am 74 years old, so I have some sharp memories. We lived in Lubbock TX for a period of time in the late 1940's and IT WAS COLD THERE. May not compare to northern winters but it was cold. And the paper to use was catalogs. You could possibly shop for a new wardrobe while you spent your time there. Ours was called the outhouse, we were not aware of any other available options, but it was not comfortable enough to actually "rest" there. Spent time watching dragon flys, flies,spiders, wasps, any other varmint that wandered in through the cracks. Can't say "that was the good old times" in my life.

One good thing about those, it was far enough from the house for when you wanted to be noisy.

Now living in Texas I'm beginning to see them around houses..new homes out in the country an am sure they do have inside plumbing. they are using these as a storage sheds for gardening equipment, ect. years ago who would have thought that someday they would be used for storage..haha

We have a cabin in Maine that still has an outhouse that we use. Our son built it when the old one fell down. The cabin is in the family and keeping the out house keeps the other relitives away. HA HA

Nancy Mc