Treating a Puppy With Parvo in a Home With Another Unvaccinated Puppy

I just joined and saw posts by people with dogs that have parvo. I have a pup that someone didn't want and took it home and now after three days found out it has parvo.

The vet costs too much round here and the kids have a seven week old pup and I am afraid that it will now get it as well. The vet said that the kid's pup can't get the shot for parvo, as it might get worse for him.

The kids are so upset and I am tying everything to help the sick pup and keep the other pup (Milo) away from the sick one (Woody). What can be done? Please help!

By Richard from NSW Australia

Dear Richard, I hate to have to say this, but if you cannot afford anything that may happen to your pets, and that's an enormous amount - then you really shouldn't have them. They are a tremendous responsibility.

My 6 year old dog had Parvo when she was a puppy, and spent a week in the vet hospital. She was fine after that. If you really can't go to a vet, you will have to get liquids into your dog, with a needleless
syringe if you must. Give it chicken stock, water, liver water (liver boiled, then feed the pup the water it cooked in). The liquid is the most important thing. My girl was on a drip for 5 of her 7 days in the hospital. Do your best to keep the dogs apart, Parvo is extremely catching. You will have to use bleach on any place your pup with parvo has been sick or defecated or wee'd. The garden especially.
Clean up any mess the dog makes immediately, and wipe over with bleach, or sluice with bleach if in the garden. You are commended to bring the unwanted dog home, but please, make sure you can afford to look after your animals. See if your vet will take payments for anything he/she does for your dogs. The very best of luck to you.

Hello,
Parvo is highly contagious. Please remove the healthy puppy from your home immediately or he/she will probably get it. Please call your Veterinarian ASAP to have the ill puppy treated at the hospital. Good luck.

Sorry you have this problem. My daughter had a doberman
and she gave birth,all of the pups came down with parvo.come to find out the mother was a carrier of parvo,too late to save the puppies,I don't understand much of this but later my daughter moved out of state and I took over her apt. Iwanted to get a dog but did some research and found ot the whole apt had to be sterileized with bleach.the humane society said bleach was the only thing that would kill the parvo germ I most certainly agree with Honto,I fear it is too late to save the other pup as well Best of luck to you

Please take the advice posted by "Honto". Your first pup should not have left it's mother until eight weeks old and if both parents had their current c5 vaccination, this should not happen until puppy is old enough to have their first "shot". Your heart is in the right place but we tend to allow our emotions to over-rule common sense. Ii live in your state and suggest you talk to your local veterinarian regarding re-payments for treatment and the huge responsibility and financial cost of animal ownership. Wish you all the best for both puppy's sake.