Post Unwanted Items Online Before Recycling

Recycling is good, reuse is better. Before tossing things out, see if someone else can use them. Post on Freecycle or Craigslist for free and see if your trash is someone else's treasure.

Here's an example. We take a lot of prescription medications in our house (even the dogs) and I always removed labels, washed, and saved bottles for our own reuse. When cleaning the cellar recently I found 2 bags of bottles - more than we would ever use. Before putting them in our recycling bin, I posted them for free on Craigslist just on the off-chance someone would want them. In an hour there were 4 replies! The first 2 people came for them, the other 2 asked me to save their email addresses and contact them when I had more. So not only did I find a home for clutter from my house, I can continue my habit of saving the bottles and someone will use them.

NOTE: Pharmacies cannot reuse the bottles because of the possibility of medications having leached into the plastic, so do not reuse them for food products (spices and the like). The folks who took mine were planning to use them for beads and for electronic parts.

Source: Inspired by a craigslist post by someone wanting plastic peanut butter jars.

By Soup-Lady from near Boston, MA

I've found a use for Rx bottles of the right size. Quarters. I collect the State Quarters when I receive them in change and store them in Rx bottles. There is one size that is perfect for that.

I tend to do this with the plastic, divided plates hubby's frozen Meals on Wheels dinners come in. I get a good feeling every time one of my FreeCycle buddies walks away with a pile of them!

I'm also collecting the paper sacks they send some items in, for the same reason. The more stuff gets reused, the less goes into the landfill.

These are good ideas and I hope this begins a thread with many more ideas! Freecycle is a great idea and we use it here in West Salem, Ohio. Upcycling is so cool to me and I am always looking for more ways to reuse and repurpose my packaging.

Better Living Green Living ReusingDecember 15, 2010
💘
🍀

Generated 2020-01-10 13:35:42 in 907 msecs. ⛅️️