Planting Dahlia Bulbs

I got some Dahlia bulbs. Any tips on how to plant them?

By AUDREY QUARTERMAIN from Edmonton, Canada

Search for "how to plant dahlia bulbs" lot of info there, good luck.

I just looked at my stored dahlia tubers for the first this spring. Some of them have large sprouts on them. Do I remove these or leave the sprouts above ground? Sometimes these are found growing on unopened bags in the stores as well. I'm never quite sure what to do with them. I would appreciate any suggestions.

By Carole

Answers

Don't break them off, they are the start of your new plant. Edited instructions from Ferncliff Gardens, Hatzic, British Columbia.....Dig the soil up two weeks before planting and work in a low nitrogen fertilizer. Dig a hole 5 inches deep and a foot across. Put in a stake (needed for most). Lay the tuber flat with the sprout up and close to the stake.

Cover with a small amount of soil. As the leaves grow, add more soil. You can even hill them up a bit, like potatoes. If you lifted the tubers and left the clumps whole, you can divide them with a few sharp knife of secateurs. It's actually better to split them, rather than plant a huge clump of tubers. Good luck.