ClothingRepair

Shirt Texture Changed After Being Washed

Category Clothing

I washed my beautiful t-shirt in the washing machine with other dark clothes. My t-shirt is 100% viscous material. I took it out of the machine and the texture has changed. How can I get it to be soft again? It was really expensive and I loved it. Thanks.

Gina from London

Is it still a different texture after drying? I know rayon is really hard when wet, but softens up when dry...wrinkled, but soft. If it's still not the same, check the label on the inside of the shirt for washing directions. You might also try hand-washing with a little fabric softener dissolved in the rinse water, then drip-dry it. If it has a screen-printed design you might not want to machine dry it because the design might shrink.

Hi! I purchased a product called TSP (Totally Superior Product) All Purpose Cleaner from a website. It can be used to renew clothing by reconditioning them. The product costs $3.75 for a 26 ounce box, plus shipping and handling.

You use 1 cup TSP (more if you have hard water) and add no other soap/detergent/fabric softener while you run it through an entire wash cycle. It won't make many suds, but it will release all soap, detergent and dirt trapped in the clothing. I have used this product on many clothing items, as well as my towels and sheets and I've been extremely satisfied with the results.

You can also use this product to clean floors, bath tubs, sinks, fiberglass and tile, as well as cleaning painted surfaces prior to painting them.

I hope that this tip will help you get your favorite shirt back to it's original texture!

Blessings!

Cheri in S.C.

Viscose is rayon, and like tennesue, I think that your shirt will have softened up after it dries. When you take a rayon item out of the washer, it is stiff and unpleasant feeling, but after it drip dries, it is back to its original texture.

I don't think drying in the dryer is recommended. I would be afraid of shrinkage.

Most Viscose/Rayon fabrics require dry cleaning; it can be washed, but generally same as wool. I believe that the TSP mentioned herein is Trisodium Phosphate (available in Paint Depts.) http://en.wikip  sodium_phosphate
I'm presently using it now to wash down walls before painting..I'd be reluctant to wash (expensive) clothing with this stuff... I'd be surprised if you could resurrect the washed item....

Anonymous

Trisodium phosphate WILL NOT harm your clothing. It will make them soft as a baby's bottom. No minerals or gunk left behind in the wash when you use this stuff. I use it all the time. This is what was taken out of detergents, that left detergents useless

It looks and feels stiff but if you iron it, it will be all soft again. I wash viscose and rayon all the time and after pressing, it's fine again. Good luck.