General AdviceConsumer Advice

Using a Water Pic

Does anyone use a water pic type cleaner? What success have you had with one and would you suggest a specific brand?

By txbetty from Lubbock, TX

I have a Waterpik from Wal Mart. I use it every along with floss. When I go for a yearly cleaning the hygienist has eo spend very little time cleaning my teeth. I also do not smoke so that helps a lot in keeping my teeth tartar free. Wouldn't be with out a waterpic.

Make sure the brand you get has replaceable parts. I bought one a several years ago for my granddaughter and she uses it all the time. The dentist advised me what brand to get. It wasn't cheap, but I guess it is if you consider fewer teeth problems after use.

I read a recent Readers Digest article reporting on interviews with dentists. Each one told his favorite tip for good teeth. One of these said he wished that WaterPiks were still widely available -- that they were the best thing ever for good teeth care.

I love my Waterpik. I like it with plain water, but I sometimes add a little mouth wash & get a really clean feeling.

I use a Waterpik and love it! It was under $20. I got it at CVS. It's definitely worth the investment!!! It does decrease the amount of time of your teeth cleaning too!

I am a dental hygienist. Water piks are good for removing debris between and around teeth if food traps there. However, they do not wash/rinse away plaque. Plaque is a fancy name for a colony of cells, be they bacteria (in the case of the mouth), or a scab (blood cells), or hardening of the arteries (fat cells). The only product proven to remove plaque with the "water pik" methodology is a devise called a "HYDROFLOSS". They have their own website, and although a bit expensive, they do work. I had a patient who had cerebral palsy, and lower front teeth tilted inward at a severe slant. It was impossible for him to manuver a tooth brush into this area. I couldn't either. Tartar buildup was heavy. I cleaned his teeth, recommended the Hydrofloss, and viola! They tartar did not build up again. It was like magic.

The reason it works is because they use a principle called "Magnetohydrodymanics" which reverses the polarity of water. This then breaks the polar bond of the bacteria to the tooth because the plaque is attracted to the water.

Kinda of deep, but trust me. This thing works!

Lynelle Shryock, BS, RDH

Loma Linda University, '84

I have a mouthful of Crowns which my dentist told me could last up to 20 years - if I was lucky and took care of them. Well it's now 30 years and I have never had one problem! I attribute this to always using a water pik. My current dentist tells me that it's one of the best things you can do for your teeth, in addition to flossing. I have a Teledyne water-pik which I believe is the original brand.