Vintage Rag Jar

Some people like the looks of old vintage jars filled with items to remind them of the olden days. This one is filled with rags rolled up like they use to make the old rag rugs.

Approximate Time: 30 minutes

• pickle jar
  • doily
  • rubber band
  • cotton rags torn into narrow strips
  • decal or sticker

Instructions:

1. I found an old pickle jar at my father-in-law's that had sugar stored in it for ages. The plastic lid was cracked and the jar was stained. I first threw away the sugar and lid and washed it well.

2. I applied a water transfer decal I had gotten from e-Bay and never used. First you dampen the area where you want to apply the decal with water. Soak the decal for 30 seconds in warm water. It slides off the paper unto the jar. Pat it gently with a dry towel and smooth out the air bubbles. Let dry. I wasn't really happy with the results. It was too transparent. Maybe a sticker would work better.

3. I made enough rag balls to fill the jar by simply wrapping the torn strips around until they were the right size. Put in the jar.

4. I found a doily that was the right size and centered it on the top. I took a large thick rubber band and put it on the jar to hold the doily in place. Then I took a longer strip of fabric and tied around the top of the jar into a bow.

5. You may want to fill with the old clothespins, potpourri, dried berries, marbles, etc.

By Little Suzy from OH

I missed this when posted.What an adorable idea.I love anything vintage.I just happen to have all the fixings for this and plan on making it.Thanks

I have dozens of little treasure jars I've made. I am going to consolidate them into a large jar like this right away. Thanks!