Coloring Popcorn

How do you color popcorn? I have seen colored popcorn (unpopped kernels) in catalogs for sale, and it's rather pricey. Apparently when popped the popcorn is multicolor. I'd love to figure out how to do this.

Rose from MO

Best Answer

I too remember when colored popcorn came in bags. The colors looks so neat we were sure we would be eating green, red and blue kernels but not so. The first lady was right. It all popped up just like regular popcorn. The color must have been a gimmick to push sales.

My mom (years & years ago) use to let the unpoped kernels set in colors of food coloring for awhile then let dry out and when popped it created that color. She also your to take plain kernels (uncolored) and after popping them toss a bunch in a bread bag with air in it and a drop or too of food coloring to color it that way too (very pretty) she would do some red, some green and then after they were tossed she made popcorn balls from them for different holidays like Christmas, she did orange for Halloween, red for Valentines. Most food coloring boxes has a color chart on it to mix colors to get colors like purple etc.

I hate to say this, but I'm pretty sure that when you color the unpopped corn it just pops up whiteish like always. My Mom used to buy colored popcorn and we were always disappointed that it didn't pop up in colors.

http://www.tall … arfait/index.htm

I remember my mom buying the colored popcorn kernels and when you popped it just the hulls were colored ~ pretty but not really what we were expecting.

Just picked up a small cookbook 'Kool-aid[soft drink mix]Comes OF Age'. Page 37. Popcorn Balls 9 cups popped popcorn 1 cup light corn syrup 1/3cup Kool-aid sugar sweetened soft drink mix, any flavor Place popcorn in a lightly buttered bowl. Combine syrup and soft drink mix in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and continue boiling until mixture will seperate into hard threads when dropped into very cold water[or to a temperature of 270*] .Remove from heat and pour over popcorn, mixing quickly to coat well. Spape into 1-1/2 inch balls. Makes about 3 dozen. You wouldn't have to make this into balls, you could just place on a cookie sheet, cool and break into pieces. Colored and flavored too! Enjoy jimsjunque