Maintaining Your Dog's Nails

Like everything else the price to have my dogs nails cut went up too. I'm not at all comfortable cutting his black nails myself. However, Teddy, who I recently adopted doesn't mind having his paws touched. I had him groomed and now that his nails are trimmed, I can keep them up myself. At night when we're watching TV, he usually falls asleep in my lap and I use my 2 sided nail file to maintain their length.

By Keeper from Morganton, NC

It does save money if you can take over the job of nail-trimming your pup's nails yourself. Some dogs don't mind at all while others "hold you accountable" if you ever hurt their
little feet. Having them done at the groomer's or the vet's the first time to get them in shape is very helpful if you plan to maintain them yourself from now on. Same with their

teeth.

We have one large granddoggie who'll come to you so that you can brush her teeth with her special doggie toothpaste, but we have another granddoggie who snarls if you even consider brushing his teeth. Same doggie toothpaste, everything. Just the difference in doggie preferences.

We have to accept them as individuals the same as we are. Mr. Ted E.Bear is special, you know. :-)
Thanks for sharing his adorable photo.

Pookarina

Since your dog is already used to the feeling of the nail file on his nails, I would try using a Dremel tool to maintain them. My vet recommended this to me years ago when I had a golden retriever whose nails were so thick I couldn't get my clippers around them. I now have 2 dachshunds with black nails and I use the Dremel to do theirs. They lay peacefully while I file away. Only takes a few minutes and it's much safer than the clippers where it's so easy to cut the quick.

Cricketnc, I have a rechargeable dremel for my crafts and will try it on Teddy.Tomorrow he'll have been here only 5 weeks but has settled in like an old shoe.

PookaRina, I give Teddy several things to chew on but he puts on the brakes at opening his mouth for brushing.I'm sure he'll come around because he's very trusting with everything else.He even comes after he's done eating to get his face washed w/a baby wipe. Spoiled? a bit!! : )

Keeper and Teddy

He looks so cute! It sounds like you two had an instant bond. He knows he found his forever home, so he can relax. It seems like such a loving routine for you guys every evening. I'll have to try it with my Dallas.

Keeper, I love every single post about Sir Ted E Bear! You might want to go slowly introducing him to a dremel, though. The noise might startle him. Since you both enjoy the plain, low-tech file.

Well, if he doesn't like the dremel, the way you started out works fine. As for brushing his little teeth, maybe he'd prefer a crunchy snack? I guess it's either that or the groomers.