Cooking a Perfect Turkey Breast

Category Meat
Roasting a turkey breast so that it is moist and tasty can be tricky. This is a page about cooking a perfect turkey breast.

I use a cooking bag and always put the breast meat side down in the pan, so all the juice stays in the meat

By cleanupmom55 from Franklin, PA

Do you have any tips for cooking the perfect (and NOT dry) turkey breast? My son complains every year that my turkey is always so dry. Because it is just the three of us, I usually only cook a small turkey breast. HELP me cook that perfect Thanksgiving turkey this year! :) Thanks in advance!
Sue A.

Answers

By Marnita (Guest Post)
Best Answer

The key is to brine your turkey first. Here is a recipe I have used in the past. It makes the turkey very moist and tasty:

Turkey Brine

2 gallons water
1 1/2 cups canning salt
3 tablespoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar

In a large bucket or container large enough to hold your turkey, mix together the water, salt, garlic, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar. Store in a refrigerator, and soak turkey for 1 day before smoking or roasting.

By Gisela (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I have been making this turkey for 3 years know and my family is not to big on turkey because it is so dry but behold the first time I made it they thought it was chicken.
I take white or cider vinegar
ground black pepper
adobo
salt
garlic salt
oregano
sazon
and a little sofito (spanish seasoning)
I mix all these together and rub on the turkey.

I polk holes in the turkey so the wet rub can seep inside.
the key is I take garlic glioves and mash them then rub it in and outside the turkey as well as under the skin
I let the turkey sit in the fridge for at least 3 days.
I bake it in the oven on 250 to 300 degrees overnight.
The dripping I use as the gravy.
This is a spainsh style turkey.
You will love it

Can you cook a 10 lb turkey breast (bone out) in a turkey bag in an Oster turkey roaster or do you have to take it out of the bag it came in?

By Joe T from West hester

Answers

Best Answer

You can not cook a turkey in the bag it comes in. Some roasters will work for a baking bag, but not all.

You would need to read your roaster instructions. If it doesn't say, then I would not use a roasting bag.

Best Answer

You need to take the turkey out of the packaging. I have used Reynolds turkey bags in my regular oven

Is it OK cook to cook them at the same time? What is the best way to cook a 7lb. turkey breast and sweet potatoes at the same time?

Answers

I would not cook them in the same pan together. They would pick up the taste off of each other. Also depending on the size, the potatoes would probably be done cooking before the turkey.

And, you will need to baste the turkey and you don't want the basting on the potatoes. I have been doing my turkeys lately in the electric roaster.

The sweet potatoes can be cooked in the same pan, if you like the flavor of the turkey gravy. They also will be much softer and easy to mash than if you had roasted them separately. I like the Reynold's oven cooking bags or my oval crockpot to cook the turkey. In the oven it takes about 2 1/2 hours and 5-6 hours in the crockpot. Sliced sweet potatoes would only take 25 minutes or so, so add the sweet potatoes later on if you do decide to cook them together.

Actually, a lot of food tastes very good when cooked with sweet potatoes and they are one of the healthiest foods around (even for our animals). Even pot roast with sweet potatoes is usually a raved about dish at our house.

Turkey breast (7-9 pounds) (cut in half if large) can be rubbed with your favorite spices and cooked in a Dutch oven on stove top or oven or even in your crock pot. I like to add cut up apples, cubed onions and sliced or just cut up (1-2) sweet potatoes; add 2-3 T oil and make sure turkey temperature reaches 165 degrees F about 2 -3 hours (more in crock pot).
I cook all of my ingredients together (just baste but not stir - optional).

definitely the time differential between when the turkey v/ the sweet potatoes would be done would be the biggest consideration here, for you do not want dried-out turkey or undercooked potatoes! I have at times made stews, though, where I let all the ingredients cook for a very long time, to the point the sweet potatoes would turn to mush and everything overall would thicken. Usually in those scenarios I add legumes, then potatoes, then other veg, then I will either add in the meat if I know I will let it simmer for hours or cook the meat separate then add it, also a ton of spices, seasonings, etc.

How long does it take too cook a turkey breast?

By Kathy127 from Clifton Park, NY

Answers

Find out how much the turkey breast weighs, then look in a cookbook for the times for different weight turkeys. Also if you have any of those oven roasting bags, it usually tells in the package.

30 minutes for every a pound of turkey. Example if your turkey is weighing 6 pounds you have to cook the turkey for 3 hours.

How long would you cook a 9.75 pound turkey breast?

By Bonnie from CA

Answers:

Roasting Time for a Turkey Breast

2 1/2 to 3 hours for that weight with no stuffing inside. Use a meat thermometer to check and once the internal temp is 165 degrees it's ready. Oh, and oven temperature preheated and at 325 degrees F. (11/24/2009)

By Deeli

Food and Recipes Food Tips MeatFebruary 28, 2012
😎
🌻
🐛
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf21230566.tip.html