Cooking a Perfect Turkey Breast

Category Meat
Roasting a turkey breast so that it is moist and tasty can be tricky. This is a page about cooking a perfect turkey breast.

If you cook a turkey breast in an oven bag, you will avoid splatters in your oven and end up with a lot of gravy for the meat and rice, pasta or potatoes.

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 2 hours 15 minutes for 7.5 lb breast

Total Time: 2 1/2 hours

Yield: 8 servings

Source: Good Housekeeping magazine from years ago

• turkey breast (mine was 7.5 pounds)
  • 1 oven bag
  • 1 onion, sliced and separated into rings
  • seasoning of your choice ( I used salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, and Italian seasoning)
  • 1 Tbsp flour

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Ad

3. Season turkey breast.
  4. Put 1 Tbsp. flour in the bag. Shake to distribute.
  5. Put turkey breast in tne bag. Place onion rings evenly around.
  6. Tie the bag shut. Cut a few slits in the top of the bag.
  7. Ad

8. Place in a roasting pan. Fold ends of bag down and place on lowest rack so the bag doesnt touch the heating element.
  9. Roast until done. This will be quicker than if you roast without the bag. Mine was done in 2 hours and 15 minutes.
  10. Let turkey rest in bag before cutting open and serving.
  11. Ad

I use a cooking bag and always put the breast meat side down in the pan, so all the juice stays in the meat

By cleanupmom55 from Franklin, PA

Do you have any tips for cooking the perfect (and NOT dry) turkey breast? My son complains every year that my turkey is always so dry. Because it is just the three of us, I usually only cook a small turkey breast. HELP me cook that perfect Thanksgiving turkey this year! :) Thanks in advance!

Sue A.

Answers

By Marnita (Guest Post)
Best Answer

The key is to brine your turkey first. Here is a recipe I have used in the past. It makes the turkey very moist and tasty:

Turkey Brine

2 gallons water
1 1/2 cups canning salt
3 tablespoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar

In a large bucket or container large enough to hold your turkey, mix together the water, salt, garlic, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar. Store in a refrigerator, and soak turkey for 1 day before smoking or roasting.

By Gisela (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I have been making this turkey for 3 years know and my family is not to big on turkey because it is so dry but behold the first time I made it they thought it was chicken.

I take white or cider vinegar
ground black pepper
adobo
salt
garlic salt
oregano
sazon
and a little sofito (spanish seasoning)
I mix all these together and rub on the turkey.
I polk holes in the turkey so the wet rub can seep inside.
the key is I take garlic glioves and mash them then rub it in and outside the turkey as well as under the skin
I let the turkey sit in the fridge for at least 3 days.
I bake it in the oven on 250 to 300 degrees overnight.
The dripping I use as the gravy.
This is a spainsh style turkey.
You will love it

Can you cook a 10 lb turkey breast (bone out) in a turkey bag in an Oster turkey roaster or do you have to take it out of the bag it came in?

By Joe T from West hester

Answers

Best Answer

You can not cook a turkey in the bag it comes in. Some roasters will work for a baking bag, but not all. You would need to read your roaster instructions. If it doesn't say, then I would not use a roasting bag.

Best Answer

You need to take the turkey out of the packaging. I have used Reynolds turkey bags in my regular oven

Food and Recipes Food Tips MeatFebruary 28, 2012
📓
😎
🌻
🐛