Keeping Sandwiches Cold

My daughter has an old-fashioned type lunch box with a thermos. Putting in one of those hard ice substitutes took up too much room, so instead I use frozen bread to make her sandwich. The bread thaws in time for lunch while keeping the lunch meat cold enough to prevent bacteria from forming. Now I have room to pack a dessert and my daughter is thrilled!

By Karen in NH

By Delaine (Guest Post)

With the bread being frozen and then thawing out. Does this not make the bread sort of damp? Just curious.. Thanks!

When packing your child's lunch use a frozen juice box or capri sun. By the time the lunch bell rings the drink will be thawed and everything else will still be cold.

By Mary H

Kids have gone to school for decades without worrying about bacteria spoiling the sandwich in their lunch. Now I wouldn't eat the sandwich made with some mayonnaise that was made at 7am if it is now 5pm, but noon never seemed to be a problem with anyone I grew up with.

When I was still living at home, one year my parents went on a week long trip and my aunt stayed with us. Before they left my mom and I spent a few hours together making and then freezing LOTS of sandwiches (there were 5 of us plus foster children going to school). I don't remember eating any "soggy" sandwiches later.