AdviceCleaning

Home With Iron In The Water

I am moving into a home that has a lot of iron in the water. Does anyone have suggestions for cleaning commodes, washer, swimming pool, etc.?

Thanks,
donajoe

A friend had well water and bought a whole-house filter to filter the water as it came into the house. The filter reduced the iron and rust a lot and wasn't very expensive. Seems to me that a filter would lengthen the life of appliances like waterheaters, etc., and save on cleaning supplies. After the initial installation, changing the filter was relatively simple.

I finally broke down and got a water softener/rust remover, but it took me a couple of years of aggravation to get that far (I had an extreme iron problem). For your toilets, bathtubs and sinks I recommend 'The Works' toilet cleaner and their bathtub/sink cleaner because it's cheap ($1.00 a bottle at Dollar General), and it works better than any other liquid rust remover I've used. I also like 'Zud' for rust stains that are so bad they need to soak in a paste that will remove rust. I also made sure to lower the water level in the toilet bowl as much as possible to save on the amount of The Works I had to use. They do make metal removers for swimming pools, but if the iron in your water is too bad, they really won't do much to clear it up. As far as laundry goes, I never did anything for my really dark clothes because the rust didn't show, but I used 'Iron-Out' in my whites. Somehow, even though it went in the wash cycle it seemed to keep the rust away through the rinse. I never had anything come out with rust spots as long as I used it. I didn't really have to clean my washer due to rust because I used the Iron-Out in my laundry. One caveat about using Iron-Out: it will fade most colored clothing, so whether or not to use it on your lighter colors is a choice you'll have to make. Hope my experience helps.

TerryfromChilliOH

THE WORKS...it says it all. Cheapest yet the only one that is effective. I use it in toilets and in the shower. Just squirt on the spray off...it is amazing like that!

Bar Keepers friend found in the cleaning aisle at wal-mart

Go to your local Wal-Mart and purchase ,The Works. Its in the cleaning products isle.
Or just use plain ol' clorax.