FramingCrafts

How Can I Make a Fabric Covered Cardboard Picture Frame?

Category Framing

I am looking for instructions for making a frame of cardboard and fabric without having to buy a frame.

By Betty Jo from Madrid, NY

Google "making a frame of cardboard and fabric" there are all sorts of sites on how to do this.

These are super easy! Just cut out the "frame" in the size and shape you want. Go crazy, no set design! then simply lay the frame on top of batting and cut out the batting. I cut the batting a little bit larger than frame so it wraps towards the back. Then you cut the fabric for the frame using same frame and cut about an inch inside frame and an inch or so outside. Nothing is set in stone here. All I do then is glue my batting to my frame, then lay my fabric on top of the batting and frame then pull it onto back side and glue (or staple). Just be sure to pull the same all around so it doesn't looked warped. Just take a scrap and play with it for the first time so you get a hang of how you are doing. I am sure you are going to be able to ace this even with my half way instructions. Let me know if you have any questions. By the way, I cut a second piece of fabric to cover the back. Just put it on and fold under edges to make it look nice. You can hand stitch that or just glue it. You can make a half dozen in one sitting once you get the hang of it. (You can also make the batting double if you want the frame thicker or more padded). it's your frame so make it like you want. You can put a stand on the back using cardboard and just glue or staple to the back. Look at another frame to see the shape you need. I actually make several smaller frames and hooked them to a large piece of ribbon and hung on the wall. Put large bow at top and that is it!