AdviceDogs

Eleven Month Old House Trained Puppy Peeing in Her Sleep

My pet has been trained to pee outside for almost 9 months. Lately she is peeing in her sleep, especially when she is sleeping on my lap or during the night, she will wake up suddenly and want to go outside, but does not pee. I have stood outside for almost 20 minutes waiting and nothing. All she does is sniffs the grass than stands by the door wanting to come in. I don't know what to do.

She is playful so I don't think she is ill. She was spayed at 6 months. She has had some occasional flare-ups with her anal glands and been treated by the vet. Any suggestions will help.

By shaluu from Pearland, TX

The pup needs to be checked for a bladder infection, or other issues. After that, the vet could suggest ways to help the darling not have such a full bladder at night, but if it is from an infection, it would be easy to treat.
Blessings,
Robyn

I agree with Robyn, sometimes my Rosie and Ginger will get Urinary Tract Infections which is non stop urinating and they can't help it. When I get one myself I drink Cranberry Juice to clear it up and it always does so I went to my local Health Food Store and bought Cranberry Pills for my dogs and within 24 hours they were fine.

Several years ago my personal doctor showed me a book he had and I ordered myself one and one for my best friend. It doesn't replace a Vet by any means but it definitely has come in handy.

Please consult your Veterinarian this could be a urinary tract infection. Good luck with puppy

Sometimes after spaying, dogs can have this problem. Check with a vet.

My dog did the same thing as a young dog after being spayed. She was put on Pro-In which took care of the problem for several years. Then it began again and the vet added DES capsules, 2 each week, which she has taken for years and no recurrence of the problem. It may just be a bladder infection but it could be "lazy bladder syndrome" which is what my vet called it and it needs to be treated with medication for possibly the rest of her life. But no matter what it is, they are worth whatever it takes to treat the problem and make them comfortable. Best of luck.