House TrainingDogs

How can I get my dog to stop peeing by the bed?

My dog, Charlie Brown, is not really house broken, but I don't mind to be honest, i just clean after him. The only thing that bothers me is that he always wants to pee right beside the bed, often getting the sheets messy, and causing me a lot of laundry. How can I get him to find another spot?

Victoria from Chicago, IL

Train him like you would a pup. Take him out every hr. (if you can) & tell him to go to the bathroom. Tell him to go potty & stay by him until he does. Be ready with a healthy treat to give him right after, on the spot. I've trained all my dogs to go to the bathroom when I tell them to. Every time they go out I start with "Who wants to go potty?" in a loud enthusiastic voice. They go running to the door. When they come back in say, again in the same way, "Good babies!" And sometimes I give them a treat even though they're all adults. They never know when they'll get one & it keeps them excited. If he goes in front of you just take him outside immediately & say go potty etc. You have to be consistent.

Why do you tolerate this? Just interested

well you do need to train him of course.. trust me.. when you have someone else watch him for you, you will be glad you did. for now you can try vinegar..dogs can smell where they marked and hate the smell of vinegar so they will stay away.. but the down fall is you will be going to bed with the smell of vinegar..

Now that he's marked his spot so to speak, he will continue to go in that spot. I know, I went through this with my dog. Here's what worked for me. I read somewhere to put the dogs food where he is going to the bathroom. A dog will never go where their food is. Try it, it works.

I have the exact same problem. Except my dog pees on the bed. I scold her every time this happens, but she does it regardless. I take her out, but I see it as a payback. I have no idea what to do. Good luck.

I have the same type of problem but my dog pees EVERYWHERE not just in one spot! I dont want my room to smell like vinegar and i cant put his food bowl in six different places. (I feel like he is trying to take revenge over me because he has to go in a crate at night and during scholl or otherwize he destroys the whole house!)Please give me a few helpful tips!

My 12 week old puppy pees on and beside the bed as well. She is completely house broken as long as she has no access to the bedrooms. She is taking to her training very well. I don't want to keep her out of the bedrooms at night, because I am training her as my service animal, but I'm at my wits end with her peeing on the beds. Is there any type of spray I can use?