Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

Category Bugs
Identifying the insects responsible for nighttime bites is the first step in getting rid of them. This is a page about bugs biting me in my sleep.

For several days now I keep getting bitten while I sleep. The first night I had some on my back and ankles and then it started getting worse, getting almost every bite on my fingers. They are really itchy sometimes. I suspect they are mosquito bites because the weather started getting warmer in my city, but at the same time I have a window screen and I don't know how they have gotten inside. I just want to be sure.

For the record, I am also on week 3 or week 4 Accutane and I heard this might be one of the side effects, how true is that?

Answers

Best Answer

It could be possible that's it's a side effect, but the likelihood of bug bites is probably bit higher. There are pretty small mosquitoes that can in fact get through widow screens but these bits are all too reminiscent of a bed bug out break that my daughter had & it took us a good while to figure it out.

I suggest inspecting your mattress and bedding well and looking in all the cracks and crannies. Maybe even get an exterminator to come and treat your home.

Best Answer

I think you're OK re this because you checked, but if you have bites on a 'track-like' pattern (IE all in a row) especially as you say on your back/neck, that appear the next morning, especially if it all started showing up 1 to 3 weeks after having been somewhere unusual or invited an unusual guest to your , not discount the possibility of bedbugs. Sometimes it is not obvious that this is a problem a month into the infestation because the buggers hide so well. But if you have checked very carefully your bedding area, inside the creases of where you sleep, and no found bug casings, of icky black spots on your sleeping quarters or (of course) seen actually small flat round brown bugs crawling around at night, then you're probably OK

this happened to me a few years ago a week or so after staying in a cheap motel in Ohio and I don't wish it on ANYBODY.

so the Accutane* bumps really are a thing, ecxema while your body gets used to it, and some people say they go away after a couple of months once your body gets used to the drug. Or obviously you could stop taking it a while and see if that makes it stop and then you'll have your answer

*accutane works by shrinking oil glands and slows down cell production within pores all which can have various odd skin side effects. That and other dire effects that I'm certain you already know are listed here www.byrdie.com/acctuane-side-effects

I feel something is biting me in my bed, but can't see what it is.

By Shawnster

Answers

It is likely bedbugs. I have just been listening to comments on the CBC, and apparently they are a real pandemic. They are terribly difficult and expensive to get rid of.

One thing that does work, but not instantly, and more as a preventative, is diatomaceous earth. There are many different brand names. You are supposed to spray this behind your baseboards. It destroys their exoskeletons and they die. However, if you already have them in your bed, you need more agressive measures. They are often resistant to bug sprays, and so an extiminator that uses steam may be what you need.

Do not fool around with bay leaves or cinnamon or any of those home remedies. If any of that stuff worked, bedbugs wouldn't be a problem.

Sounds like bedbugs to me. When we were kids we went to a house that some friends moved out of and got some quilts that they left behind and we put them on our beds and it was not long til we started getting bitten in the night on our legs and arms and we told our dad about it. He said, I bet you got a case of bedbugs from the quilts that you got from that house.

Go and look around the mattress seams and such and see if there are any bugs there. Sure enough, there were bugs around the seams and buttons and he said go and get some kerosene and pour it around the seams and buttons and it will kill them. It did the job. Never again did we get any bedding and put it on our beds again.

I started to research online and realize that this is a common researched issue that exists but no one has answers. I was getting very discouraged after reading all these posts with no conclusion. Scared out of my mind that this was going to go on for the rest of my life. It got so bad that I was becoming delusional and seeing black spots in random places. I am not sure if that was due to lack of sleep because as you know it is hard to sleep when you are constantly being attacked by invisible biting bugs. I read some home treatments that I found to not really be useful. The one that did relieve me a little was putting a little bleach in my bath water. After my relentless online research, as now that seemed to be my only source for information I came across an article that talked about fungus spores. This was not even close to what I was researching but read it anyways. It lead me further into researching into "MOLD SPORES". I had no clue about them and read all about them. I was experiencing the same exact symptoms (crawling biting invisible bugs all day and night) that most of these people are searching online for. The problem is people are not researching the right information. I know because for the last week I was looking up "Invisible Biting bugs or parasites on my skin" and that led me nowhere.

Anyways, after reading what mold spores are, they symptoms are the same exact thing as what I was experiencing. House plants, cold water vaporizers, humidifiers, and dirty air vents can be sources of airborne mold spores, mildews, and bacteria that could cause skin reactions that feel like invisible bugs biting on your skin consistently. I went home and for some reason decided to check my humidifier that is on every night in my room that me my fiance and daughter share. What do you know, it was infested with mold (like 3 inches thick). We didn't know about changing the filters so we have this humidifier on every night from bedtime until we wake up blowing these bacterial mold spores on us infested us and our room. It can also be in your air conditioner which was my next filter that I changed that had mold but not as bad or in your house (water leak). It all made sense now! My boys were not exposed to my room so they didn't have any symptoms but we did because it was directly on us through the night and only
building and getting worse (I now feel like I have respiratory problems due to this and only time will tell with my daughter). The scabies treatment didn't work because we were exposed to this mold all the time. So I removed the humidifier and bleached down my room (immediately upon bleaching down
my bed they exploding onto my body like they were clinging for dear life. Bleach kills the suckers) and then took a bath with a little bleach and washed my body with a dandruff shampoo. I felt so cleansed and slept like a baby. It was the first time that I had relief and realized there was an end to this craziness that no one seems to know anything about. I read about dust mites, bird mites, skin parasites and researched relentlessly.

OMG!!!! Finally, I'm sure people were thinking i was crazy. It got so bad i pitched a tent out back to sleep in. They still seemed to get me, like they were invisible! The mold/parasite theory is almost equally violating/disturbing, but that would explain most of the unexplainable. Wow, does this mean there's a solution. I can't possibly give you enough gratitude for posting this. Wow, incredible.

Not DE but Cimexa

I have a problem with some type of bugs biting me in bed; I can't see them but feel them bite. I've washed the sheets and PJ'S in Clorox yet they still bite.

Melodie from Lynchburg, SC

Answers:

Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

I've heard that if it's fleas that you are having a problem with, you can sprinkle sage underneath your bed to get rid of them. My boyfriend's grandmother told me this one. So, maybe since it's an "Old wives tale" it'll work for you. It's worth a shot to keep from getting bit again! Good luck! (10/06/2005)

By Anna

Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

Have you tried a bug bomb? Put it under your bed and see if this will help. (10/06/2005)

By Seagrape

Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

Sounds like seam mites. Check the seams of your mattress and if you see small black dots you need to spray your mattress to get rid of them. (10/06/2005)

By shirley.

Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

Whatever method you choose to attempt, thoroughly vacuum the bed afterward to remove debris from the bugs & the products used to eliminate them. Many people on this site recommend Borax (laundry product) for the elimination of 'bugs'. Maybe this would work. Sprinkle on, leave for 12-24 hrs (sleep on couch) & vacuum well. Even though it's a laundry product it's not made to be slept on & inhaled. Another idea is table salt, but that was for fleas (which, you can see those), and they probably would be other places, not just the bed.

By kidsNclutter

Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

You have bed bugs. Call the County Cooperative Extension office in your area and get their brochure on bed bug control techniques. Inform yourself with accurate concise info, not tips and advice from non-experts. (10/15/2005)

By Brian W.

I wake up every night itching and sometimes bitten. I bought a new mattress and box spring for my bed and cleaned and sanitized my entire bed room numerous times. But the problem still exists. I wash my bed sheets and covers every night and vacuum my mattress, box spring, bed rails, and carpet every night. And I look at the sheets to make sure there isn't anything on them before I get in bed.

After falling asleep I find myself waking up all night due to severe itching and small bites, but the bites don't seem as severe since I got the new mattress and box spring. Before the bites would be so bad that I would be bleeding. As soon as I wake up I turn the light on and search the sheets and I do find things in my bed but it doesn't look exactly like a bug.

I find two different things, one is very small, black in color, the other looks like a small seed and is off white in color. Neither one of them move. When I pinch them the black one smashes flat but, the seed looking one is somewhat hard. I have set off insect bombs, but it didn't help. I get no sleep at night, therefore I am drained and fall asleep in the day time. At this point I have major dark circles and the whites of my eyes stay red. My fiance thinks it's nothing and that I am just paranoid. Can anyone help? Thanks.

By Hope Burleson

Answers:

Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

A few days ago on the news they said we might soon have an epidemic of bed bugs in the U.S. I looked on the web and learned when bed bugs bite, it isn't uncommon that the bites don't start itching until a while after the bite. Also, if you have bed bugs you might find feces, which is black, or eggs. Bed bugs also shed their skin.

Bed bugs often hide on the back side of the headboard in crevices, in folds of the mattress, in the creases around the edge (where the ticking is) and in the box springs. One person said he didn't know what was biting him, but he moved his bed away from the window and got bit less. He also put sticky traps under all 4 of the legs of his bed and caught some insects. Of course for the traps to work, you can't have a dust ruffle or anything that goes on or near the floor or they can climb up that way and avoid the traps. (04/21/2009)

By Joy

Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

Hello, thank you for all the advice. I am going to the local health department tomorrow to get them to check my bites out, and I have an exterminator scheduled for tomorrow. I cleaned the bedroom before getting into the bed and I sprayed me and my 7 yr. old son with Off bug repellent. The only problem is that I don't know how I'm going to pay the exterminator. I got laid off from my job several months ago and draw only a little over one hundred dollars a week. (04/23/2009)

By Hope Burleson

Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

Try sprinkling Borax around your mattress and box spring. If you have carpeting you can sprinkle it around there as well. Make sure the borax is fine and powdery so it will settle into the fibers. Let it sit for an hour or so and then you can vacuum. The Borax I purchase is the 20 Mule Team type. It is a laundry softener type product. It is also used as a carpet freshener. But it will be ingested by bugs who like its sweet taste. Then they will die because it causes a dehydration and swells up inside them.

You should do this periodically, say once or twice a year, to keep the problem from returning. You can treat the whole house if you are concerned about it in other areas.

Good luck. This should eliminate your problem and help you get a great night's sleep. Best wishes. (04/28/2009)

By Jean

Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

Do you have any pets? Many years ago my kids were coming home from school with bites around their ankles. Turns out the school had mites and fleas. Don't remember what kind of mites. The school was fumigated over the weekend and there were no more bites. The carpets in the school were infested. So you might try a bug bomb for homes with pets, which will kill animal parasites, including fleas, ticks, and mites. Also get a dip for any pets you might have. (04/28/2009)

By Patricia Taylor

Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

The truth is, they can be a variety of things. It is near impossible to tell without seeing them. Catch some and take them with you to the doctor's. He'll be able to tell you exactly what they are, give you meds or tell you what to do for the bleeding and bites, and tell you how to get rid of them. At least knowing what they are will allow you to research alternative ways to rid yourself of these pests. I wouldn't wait too long, the infestation will continue to multiply until something is done, and they can be passed on to others. You don't want to be known as the person who gave others fleas, scabies, bed bugs, or whatever. Good luck. (04/30/2009)

By susan

Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

You might have bed bugs, you may need to get a terminator to get rid of them. (05/01/2009)

By elva

For the past two nights, something is biting me. I keep waking up with bites on my thighs. Nobody else in the house is experiencing this. I have no idea what to do.

I've woken up with bites all over my legs, so I assume it is bed bugs. I washed all my sheets and pillow cases, and I just recently saw one on me.

Home and Garden Pest Control BugsSeptember 27, 2016
🎃