TroubleshootingComputers

Restoring Icons On Computer Task Bar

I have a Windows XP Computer and I'm having problems in restoring the small icons in the narrow blue task bar on the bottom of my desktop. This is the bar where the Start button is located. I've tried dragging and dropping the large icons from the desktop into the bar and have had no success.

I attempted to try and find an answer to my problem, but have hit a dead end street. Can anyone tell me how this can be done? Thank you in advance!

MCW from Lewiston, NY

Your taskbar may be locked. Right click on the task bar, and see if there is a check mark beside where it says "task bar locked". If so, click on that to remove it. Tthis should then enable you to drag an icon into the task bar!

By DC from Melbourne, Australia (Guest Post)

Hello,
Maybe try this. I did a demo on my XP and could reinstate my quick launch icons by:

Right click on blue task bar
Go to toolbars
Tick quick launch - when it is not ticked, icons are not displayed on quick launch task bar

To add new icons to your quick launch folder:

Right click on blue task bar
Go to open folder
Select file new
Click on icon that you want to add to quick launch folder
Select File close
New icon is then displayed on the task bar

Cheers.

I'm so glad someone asked this question as I have wondered about it too for a long time - now the problem is fixed - thank you

Thanks for all your posts. The problem has been resolved.

It is not good idea to have those favourites in the quick launch on taskbar. This slows down your computer at start up.

By Kale (Guest Post)

I have tried everything but this is stuck in classic; no other options appear but classic. I tried changing uxtheme, dll and it didn't work either. Please help; I feel like I have an obsolete pc with this old task bar.