General AdviceConsumer Advice

Tenant's Room Smells Bad

We have a new tenant who not only cooks with different spices, which is fine, but he and his room have an offensive smell that lingers on the level of the house we are in. I'm not sure if it's from the food or his odor. I've tried several air fresheners and even Febreze. Nothing seems to work. I don't want to offend the tenant, but at the same time I can't stand the smell. Please help!

By SUZ from Ontario, Canada

Well, as I see it your choices are limited. You can try to find out what the smell is and deal with it (dirty laundry, dirty shoes, dirty person), talk to him, or just live with it. Anything that smells can't really be just covered up. It has to be removed or cleaned. Does he smoke some funny cigerettes or drugs? You're probably young enough to know what pot smells like so you'd know if it was that.

It may be incense he is burning. I would ask him nicely what is the continuous smell that lingers your way.