Helpful HintsFood Tips

Getting Rid of Smells After Cooking

Category Helpful Hints

If you cook something like fish or broccoli and want to get rid of the smell, try this thrifty tip: Fill a small saucepan halfway with water, sprinkle some ground cinnamon and cloves in, and simmer for 15 minutes (set your timer so you don't burn your pan!).

By Kathy from Danville, CA

By Anna from Maine (Guest Post)

I take a small pan of water and add some apple cider vinegar, cinnamon & cloves and it makes the house smell like you have been making pickles, also gets rid of odors.

I like your idea, but what I've found works for me (even with fish!) is to put a tiny bowl of white VINEGAR next to the pan while you're frying the fish. For some reason the vinegar will remove all of the nasty smell!... A bowl of vinegar works especially well when it's set overnight into a smelly cupboard, drawer, closed or a car's trunk or just left on the counter...

Just be sure to remove it before you drive off or spill it the next day! ... your previously smelly area will smell as good as new!... I don't know WHY it works so well, but it does!... Then afterward, I'd fill the air with your sweet smelling brew!