Rinse Bacon with Cold Water Before Cooking

Keep bacon strips from shrinking in your frying pan by rinsing first in ice-cold water. Try it; you'll be surprised by this simple trick!

By Brianna Southworth from Dutch Harbor, Alaska

Rinsing bacon with cold water does nothing to prevent it from shrinking! Sorry, but the reason the bacon shrinks is due to the fat rendering process. When heated, the majority of the fat melts, leaving you with bacon grease after the frying is done. Which, by the way, is known as a Southern cook's gold! It's not healthy at all to use the bacon grease but it sure makes everything taste great!

I agree with Bama Jypsy1 100%. You go girl!

I bake my bacon on roasting pan... no shrinkage & grease drips down into pan. The best way to do it!

Spoonful of bacon grease in your vegetable dishes... i.e., especially yellow squash! Yummy! (Store bacon grease in a jar in the refrigerator, after it cools)

Actually it does stop shrinkage. I just tried this the other night for BLT's. I made an entire package of thick cut bacon, first rinsing it with cold water and straight to the pan. For the first time no shrinkage! I still had the fat that it renders and saved it for my refried beans. This is easiest way to prevent shrinking, curling up bacon.

Good tip!