BathroomHome Improvement

How Do I Keep the Shower Curtain From Blowing in and Sticking to Me?

We just installed a new large shower after having a small stand up shower with shower doors. We didn't want shower doors anymore. So now we have shower curtains.

How do we prevent the shower curtain from blowing in? It sticks to us and it's so annoying. We can't use the curved rod because the shower is tall and it would hold the curtain out too far and water would splash out. So now we have the curtain blowing in and sticking to us! We just got to use it for the first time today. Please help. Thanks.

By Ariela from MI

I buy the cheap shower curtain liners at Dollar Tree and they have magnets at the bottom that adhere to the inside of the bathtub. So I never have the problem of the shower curtain sticking to me.

Anonymous

My shower is a handicap shower

My liner has magnets, yet they don't work?

They are not magnets. They are just weights.

I have the same problem and I have magnics that adhere to the tub but I still have the same problem.It is very annoying, trying to wash and fight with the curtain

Put a few magnets or just heavy items in the bottom hem.

I hate when that happens. I love the cloth shower curtains instead of the plastic ones.

They cost a little more but you can throw them in the washer and hang them back on wet. They don't seem to blow in on you like the plastic ones do.

Buy some magnets at the Container store or Home Depot/Lowes. You can buy them online too. Put the magnet on the inside of the shower curtain and they attach the curtain to the tub. That is if your tub isn't fiberglass. You could also use a small piece of duct tape but that'll be ugly from the inside.

They do make little contraptions to stick to the inside of the tub to make the bottom of the shower curtain behave, I have seen them at Target, Walmart and Home Depot.

Anonymous

What are they called?

Can you tell me what the name of the item you are talking about, we have the same issue because our stand up shower is fiberglass, thanks !

Anonymous

I've never had that happen to me so I don't know why that is happening to you but my thought would be is that if your heat/air vent faces your shower that might be the culprit and if it is that maybe just make sure the heat/air system isn't running while you're in the shower (or maybe you keep a window open while showering that causes a breeze). The magnets are a good idea because even if you don't have a metal tub the weight of the magnets will definitely help.

I turned all that off & it still blows in.

The reason it blows up is because of the Bernoulli principle. Wndows or air vents have nothing to do with it. Please buy some weights or stronger magnets etc to hold the curtain down.

I have the same problem and it is because my shower surround is fiberglass and the magnets on the curtain won't work. So annoying to have that curtain blowing in. Right now, I set two bottles filled with water along the inside edge which holds the curtain down!!

The heavy duty ones don't blow in. They cost more but are worth every penny because they eliminate that daily annoyance. Worked for me.

Buying a heavier one, Yes, I have thought of that so I guess I will do that.

Anonymous

I buy heavyweight and still not working. Frustrated

Well if the shower is made from fiberglass and we are talking showers, magnets adhere to metal not fiberglass. So forget the previous answer. I do not have a solution.

I bought a shower curtain with suction cups attached on the outside edges. I apply pressure to the cups to attach them to the side of the shower and it doesn't blow in.

where did you get them?

How about trying velcro?

I read online recently a tip about taking binder clips when traveling to keep shower curtains in place. You might try that as an inexpensive way to see if it works. I have not tried it. Good luck!

You can also get some nice Velcro dots, industrial ones. I use them all over the house for things.

The suction from the air current outside your shower changes when the air temp changes. Inside the shower it is hot and steamy. Cold air current other side. No different than the summer storms we put up with all the time. You have created the point of collision--where the warm and cold air currents meet. Like a science experiment you want to be over!

Besides needing a weighted curtain, or anchoring it to the sides in some way as others have said, understand that you are creating a basic weather pattern in your shower. All that hot air and humidity is rising and has to be replaced with air from the bottom. If no air can get in the bottom, the curtain is going to suck in. In my shower I leave a little place for air to get in at the front as the back end is where the water is headed.

The solution is fairly simple. Go to Staples or Office Max and buy the big paper clips. Not the ones that are loops but the ones that have like "ears" that you fold over and press together to get them to expand. The are usually made of metal and come in three sizes.

I think any will do but I don't suggest the small ones. These you will be able to clip onto the bottom of the shower curtain. Four or Five should do the trick. If not you can add magnets to the paper clips for added weight to help keep the curtain in place.

Those clips are called binder clips.

The weight of the metal clips may do the trick though. Even though they aren't magnetic. I would try that first. If it doesn't work you can always use the clips in another application.

If you splash some water on the wall of the shower, and lightly press the shower curtain to it, it will stick.

Buy two curtains. One material (decorative) nice looking one and one that is plastic that will repell the water for the inside.

The material one is usually a good enough of a barrier for the breeze you are getting and heavy enough not to budge.

Anonymous

I have a cloth and plastic liner and the liner still blows in.

I noticed that someone mentioned buying a heavy duty shower curtain. That works for me too. Buying one of the really lightweight shower curtains like from Dollar Tree just isn't worth it to me, too much aggravation as you are experiencing. Spending more for a heavy weight curtain keeps it from blowing in and you can put it in the washing machine from time to time to keep it fresh, not having to actually replace it very often.

I have a heavy duty shower curtain. It still blows in.

Go to "showercurtainbuttons.com" these buttons keep the inside shower curtain from sticking to you. they are cheap and there is a video on how to install them.

easy and they work , but only if you have a bathtub and you need to have two shower curtains and inside one and a outside one.

Take a look at Shower Curtsy ( http://ShowerCurtsy.com ), as this is the easiest and best solution that works with any shower curtain, liner, bathtub or rod. It completely solves shower curtain cling, comes complete, is portable to use at hotels and looks great even with just a single liner. Shower Curtsy, not only solves shower curtain from billowing in, but also adds more shower space by pulling the liner toward the outside edge.

Have kids that push the shower liner outside the bathtub, Shower Curtsy can stop that! Simply put the Shower Curtsy on the inside of the bathtub and Shower Curtsy will pull the liner back in.

Checkout the attached image to see Shower Curtsy in use!

Save yourself some money and sew a button or just stitch your liner to your shower curtain about one foot above the tub. Until I can sew on some buttons, I am using straight pins spaced about 12" apart and about one foot above the tub and it has solved my problem.

Anonymous

The only time my liner tries to clings to me is when the water is NOT flowing directly on me, so I keep the water flow aimed toward the middle of the liner, except when I need water flowing directly on me. Works for me with the type of shower head I have, but may or may not work for you, depending upon the type of shower head you have. Before I start showering, though, I also splash a little water on the shower wall at each end of the liner and then stick each end of the liner to the wall. I hope this helps.

Anonymous

how do I keep the shower curtain from blowing in

Anonymous

There are longer shower curtains you can buy.

Take a hand full of water and put a thin layer over the top of the rim. Then lay your curtain on to the rim and smooth it out with a trough on the outside of tub. Now turn on shower and put a small amount of water in the trough. Problem solved.

I think a lot of answers are from people who didnt read the original post accurately. The poster has a walk in shower, NOT a shower tub. Magnets wont work as the shower is made of fiberglass. We have two showers: one with a tub and the other a walk in. Both have curtains and fabric liners. The one with a tub does not billow, as there is enough material hanging below the rim of the tub, inside and outside, to prevent it. The walk in shower has no door, we removed it as the glass, track, etc. was a pain to clean. The Bernoulli principle is the correct answer, a miniature weather system created in the shower. Weights on the bottom of the liner are the answer. Ill be getting some soon.

Finally, the correct answer. The question is what is the weight solution? It has to be non-ferros and fairly heavy so it can be hemmed in and go thru the wash cycle. Thank you, you post was right on.

Finally found a solution. A second shower curtain rod, placed at angle between shower stall walls, at bottom of shower curtain. Stored in corner of shower in between uses.

Works remarkably well, particularly after failures with weights, decorative chains, hung from top curtain rod, collection of magnets as weights along hem, etc.

Anonymous

For my fiberglass shower stall, I bought another shower rod, like the one the liner hangs on, I installed it at the bottom of the curtain, just a little higher than the curb and put the curtain on the outside of it. Works perfectly.