Tape Alternative to Bandaids

I have a friend that's having bad reactions to Bandaids. We are trying to find something to keep ouches covered. I can't find a strong enough tape to hold just gauze on. Any suggestions?

By BHCBADGIRL from MT

They have cloth bandages just for folks who encounter this! They also have "white" medical tape which I am not sure will cause a reaction or not; check with your local pharmacist or drug store!

I have a reaction to adhesives and I do better with the paper tape sold in rolls, but it doesn't stick as well as regular bandaids. I also tolerate the fabric bandaids better, for some reason.

Use duct tape. On a job once my boss got a pretty deep cut and put duct tape over it. Nothing else. When he went to the doctor (when we finished for the day) the doctor was impressed and told him that was probably the best solution for the cut he had because the tape itself was sterile and it was strong enough to hold the cut. He required three stitches. And this was 5 hours after finishing a carpet job and driving back to civilizaton.

Try Coban tape by 3M, self adhesive, recommended by my hand doctor after some surgery, works great.

My mom (who passed away in Aug. 2009 from lung cancer) had a terrible allergy to most of the adhesives in tape and bandaids. Most of the time, the tape/bandage would cause more damage than the sore she had been trying to heal.

Her Oncologist gave her a roll of "paper tape" that worked like a charm. It had very strong adhesive qualities, but didn't irritate her skin at all! You can find it at Walgreen's.

God Bless,
Sheila in Springfield, IL

You could try "new skin liquid bandage". You just spray it on the open sore. My husband loves it (I haven't had a sore to try it on). It has an antiseptic in it too.

I have the same problem and have found out I am allergic to latex. Paper bandages work on me. I also have to tell the docto and dentist office that I'm allergic to latex so they can use non-latex gloves. If they use regular gloves at the dentist, the next day my face where they touched is covered in little itchy bumps under the skin. It has been this way all my life.

I am allergic to tape and must use it on ostomy bags. I've found that hockey stick tape works great.

You can also use a cotton strip, winding it over the bandage and taping the outside of the cotton (like binding up a sprained ankle). I don't know if your country has them but in Japan we can also get cotton mesh tubes that are finger size, arm size and head size, to hold gauze on wounds. You can use the fingers cut off a glove, cuff of a sock, etc. My daughter is allergic to both latex and adhesive!

You can buy this athletic tape like stuff, the labs use it to hold on the cotton over the place they take your blood. It comes in fun colors as well. Just use that wrapping it around a few times over the bandage and it will stay in place. Good luck.

Maybe you could just try a sleep mask and eliminate having to use anything with adhesive at all.

I have Bell's palsy and am allergic to the adhesive on Band aids and paper tape. I am having a terrible time trying to tape my eye closed. Does anybody have an alternative to tape to keep my eye shut at night? I have scabs from where I taped my eye shut. I am allergic to carbs mix, wood alcohols and e-phenylelnediamine. Anybody have suggestions?

By Patty R

Answers

Best Answer

Mrs Joe, to keep the patches on your eyes, use one of those eye sleeping masks. Could hep make an easier transition.
All the best!

I know 3M Co. makes an eye lid tape but I don't know what type of adhesive they use. You couls contact them at 3M.com to see if they could help.

Anonymous

Have you tried "Hy-Type"?
Zinc oxide base, latex free, waterproof adhesive tape for the skin.

From HY-TAPE Intenational
Patterson, N.Y. 12563-0540
1 800.248.0101
Good Luck!

Anonymous

This question truly is best to ask your doctor and also your pharmacist and keep in mind that pharmacists more often than not know more details than even a doctor does when it comes to all things pharmaceutical.